Gallow duo in national finals
Mervyn King and Jamie Chestney of the Fakenham Gallow club will featue in two events at the national bowls finals in Nottingham.The duo won the national men's pairs zone final at Lakeside.
Mervyn King and Jamie Chestney of the Fakenham Gallow club will featue in two events at the national bowls finals in Nottingham.
The duo won the national men's pairs zone final at Lakeside. In the singles zone final, King played Chestney at Gallow, a close and entertaining game finally going to King.
In the triples zone final played at Acle, King, Paul Shackcloth and Chestney were leading all the way and four up going into the last end, only to drop five shots at the death to lose by one shot.
King will now be travelling to Australia for two weeks, playing for England in Perth.
You may also want to watch:
The Gallow men's A team lost again and cannot now repeat their success of last year by winning the county's Premier League. Playing against the North Walsham A they lost 6-1 on points, 90-68 on shots.
D Taney, T Beck, M Wilkinson, R mason won 16-14; D Webb, A Walton, M Starkey, M King lost 21-22; D Hood, K Humphrey, S Lowe, V Hudson lost 19-29; J Piercy, W Graver, N Moulton, P Shackcloth lost 12-25.
- 1 Teenager creates bucket list for 'amazing' dog after cancer diagnosis
- 2 'A deserved hoorah!' - Thanks pour in for practice's Covid vaccine rollout
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 5 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 6 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 7 Inspectors praise Norfolk firefighters for help during Covid surge
- 8 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 9 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 'We are here for the children' - Headteacher backs EDP's laptop campaign
The Gallow ladies A team lost their unbeaten record to Norfolk Tigers 6-2, 52-51.
L Ward, S Cox, M Emment won 18-7; A Leverett, M Pointer, P Frost won 19-17; A Bix, B Kiddle, P Jarvis lost 9-12; J Rix, B Williamson, V Howe lost 5-16.
It's going to be difficult for the Gallow Men's B team to avoid relegation from Division Three after losing away to North Walsham B 7-0, 97-59.
M Rayner, T Anderson, H Kirby, P Colman lost 23-24; I Routh, B James, J Wilkinson, C Whiteside lost 12-24; P Pitkin, D Cawthorne, B Barnes, K Frohawk lost 12-24; P Rayner, G Wright, L Seppings, D Vaughan lost 12-25.
A dejected Jamie Chestney was brutally honest after he and his dad Peter lost, 25-6, to the Johnsons of Lincoln in the final of the All-England father-and-son pairs championship at Northampton.
“They played much better than we did,” said the 22-year-old Fakenham electrician. “We had a spate of bad luck at the start, which didn't help - but we have no complaints - they fully deserved to win.”
The Chestneys started as hot favourites for the title, but the Johnsons raced into a 13-0 lead after only five ends.