GB call for softball player
The growing strength of softball in the Fakenham area has been underlined by the selection of Amie Hutchison, who at 13 has been selected for the Great Britain under-16s fastpitch team.
Amie took up the sport at Fakenham High School. Her mother, Lisa, explained: “She went with the GB under-13 team last year when she had only been playing for five months. The GB coach picked her out at the high school.”
The under-13 team travelled to Ankara for the European Championships where they won the bronze medal.
Mrs Hutchison said many people did not know what the sport is about. It is akin to baseball, but with a softer ball, and has two versions, fastpitch and slowpitch. A Fakenham team plays in the local slowpitch league.
Amie travels to London for training, and that, and trips to represent her country, put a strain on the purse strings.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone who would like to sponsor Amie in her softball career can contact her mother on 01328 851461 or 07899 961808.
Another local player, Saskia Johnston of Walsingham, has just played for the GB under-19s in Vancouver.
- 1 Your say: What is your favourite TV show ever?
- 2 Vineyard's £250,000 new winery presses its first grapes
- 3 Are Fakenham businesses seeing an early rush for Christmas shopping?
- 4 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 5 Property spotlight: See inside this barn conversion for sale for £1.6m
- 6 Thursford pumpkin house opens for its fourth year
- 7 RNLI to add 5,000 more names to new lifeboat
- 8 Plans for Fakenham remembrance services announced
- 9 Natalie Imbruglia announced for major new festival at Norfolk estate
- 10 Hotel says bookings up a week on from Sunday Times nod