Ghosts boss stays upbeat

Thetford Town 4 Fakenham Town 1

FAKENHAM boss Wayne Anderson is remaining positive despite Tuesday night’s defeat at Ridgeons League First Division leaders Thetford Town.

The Ghosts went into the game on the back of an encouraging 3-1 win at Cornard on Saturday, but were given a lesson in clinical finishing as Thetford maintained their perfect start to the season.

Anderson refused to be downbeat despite the result and said: “I don’t think the scoreline was a reflection of the game.

“In the first 10 minutes we had a couple of great chances and then their keeper made a couple of great saves. They caught us on the break and got their rewards, but in terms of play I think we had just as much as them, it was just that their finishing was better.

“We had a couple of players out which would have strengthened us, but the lads who played gave us everything and we could have come off the pitch at 4-4.”

The manager was heartened by the display against one of the division’s stronger teams, adding: “They are tipped to win the league and we still have to play them three times this season because we’ve got them in two cup competitions as well.

Most Read

“But in terms of the way we are playing, I think we’re doing okay. We’ve got a new side and it will take time to gel, but we’ve picked up some good points already this season.

“Our next match is against Walsham-le-Willows in the FA Vase on Saturday week. We should have a full squad available and we will go into that game in the right frame of mind and hopefully get a result.”

Fakenham are fifth in the table having played more games than any other side so far and Anderson is pleased with their start: “Points wise we perhaps could have had another three from the game against Downham when I made some changes to the side, but it’s still a learning curve for me as a manager.

“We just need to settle down and get things going again and move on to the next game.”

After their early chances went begging on Tuesday night, Fakenham were 3-0 down after 30 minutes.

Julian Delicata pulled one back after 31 mins from a quickly taken free-kick and the Ghosts should have scored again just before half-time but the keeper saved from close range.

Thetford had the better of the second half and scored a fourth goal on the hour. Fakenham tried hard to get back on terms but Thetford were strong enough to keep the score at 4-1.

n Saturday report – page 62