Ghosts get chance of cup revenge
The last time Fakenham Town played Dereham Town in a trophy game - the FA Cup last campaign - it resulted in a 12-0 defeat for the Ghosts as they suffered from a nightmare pre-season.
The last time Fakenham Town played Dereham Town in a trophy game - the FA Cup last campaign - it resulted in a 12-0 defeat for the Ghosts as they suffered from a nightmare pre-season. Now the sides have been thrown together in the new season's Ridgeons Challenge Cup, again at Dereham, writes John Cushion.
But all the signs are that this time the Aldiss Park Premier Division outfit will be given a sterner test by their first division visitors, who ended last season in promotion form.
Joint managers Mark King and Stuart Woodhouse are expecting to add strength and experience to a squad which rose from the ashes of a situation where just a handful of players signed on to start the 2007-08 season.
In the extra-preliminary round of the FA Cup, Fakenham visit Gorleston, the winners away to Long Melford or Boston Town.
You may also want to watch:
In the FA Vase first qualifying round Fakenham visit Debenham LC, the winners at home to Stowmarket.
In the Division One KO Cup, Fakenham are at home to March in the preliminary round, the winners going to Swaffham in the first round.
- 1 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 2 Last man alive to be born at country home celebrates 100th birthday
- 3 Review: 'My new favourite' - excellent dishes at country coaching inn
- 4 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 5 Lifeboat launched to rescue broken down 30ft cruiser
- 6 Siblings united for pop-up selling burgers and ice cream on farm
- 7 Free lunch offer for mystery man who paid for woman's Lidl shopping
- 8 Testing plea for visitors as holiday season heats up
- 9 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 10 'He shouldn't be getting abuse' - Fakenham pubs react to landlord's vax stance
Fakenham Town's pre-season friendlies include a visit of Southen League champions King's Lynn, who it is hoped will include their latest signing Julian Joachim.
The full fixture list is: Saturday, July 5 North Walsham (a) ko 3pm; Saturday, July 19 two visiting touring teams from Blackpool will play the U16s 2pm and first team 4pm; Tuesday, July 22 King's Lynn (h) 7.45pm; Tuesday, July 29 Sheringham (h) 7.30pm; Tuesday, August 5 Cromer (a) 7.30pm.
Training started at Clipbush Park on Tuesday night and will continue on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7pm.
Fakenham Reserves have been making plans for the new season. Asa Saunders, who has taken over the manager's reins, has Byron Huggins as assistant manager, and pre-season has started with good enthusiasm. The team are organising pre-season friendlies and are looking for a regular linesman and a qualified physio.
Anyone interested should call Saunders on 07712 890412.
Fakenham A - switched to the Crown Fire Central & South Norfolk League - are being managed by Adam Guymer and Dudley Breckles, assisted by Dean Futter.