Ghosts get six-goal scare
Fakenham Town 1, Saffron Walden 6This was a frustrating first home league game of the season for the Ghosts' fans, writes John Cushion.Once Nick Tagg had talked himself to a red card following a penalty award which made it 2-0 after 37 minutes, it was clear there would be no way back for a Town side which lacked cohesion in defence and dominance midfield.
Fakenham Town 1, Saffron Walden 6
This was a frustrating first home league game of the season for the Ghosts' fans, writes John Cushion.
Once Nick Tagg had talked himself to a red card following a penalty award which made it 2-0 after 37 minutes, it was clear there would be no way back for a Town side which lacked cohesion in defence and dominance midfield.
The introduction of Julian Delicata at half-time to give Karl Pask support up front added a bit of bite, and Pask scored a fine goal to make it 5-1.
You may also want to watch:
Yet in a bright start, Mark Betts fired into the Saffron Walden side netting and Darren West poked wide after the keeper had made a hash of clearing the ball. At 1-0 a dangerous low cross from the left by Pask saw the keeper claim the ball just ahead of West.
Mitchell Das' well-struck goal from space at the edge of the Fakenham box came after 16 minutes. Jason Cole made a mistake which let in a forward but keeper Cameron Mitchell saved his embarrassment with a brave block. Then came the penalty incident and second half the Ghosts' 10 men were brushed aside.
- 1 Teenager creates bucket list for 'amazing' dog after cancer diagnosis
- 2 'A deserved hoorah!' - Thanks pour in for practice's Covid vaccine rollout
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 5 Shepherdess shocked as lamb fetches £1,752 at charity auction
- 6 Care home launches project to make residents dreams come true
- 7 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
- 10 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
Tom Richardson muscled through to head No 3, Spike Bell was left with a simple chance from a cut-back and Richardson scored No 5 on the break. Pask scored from the right of the area following a left-wing corner before sub Faraj Hammall was left in space to fire home a casual volley.
Lively Fakenham substitute Jake Betts hit an upright in a challenge with the keeper, but generally this was a disappointing performance after the promise shown at Gorleston.
Fakenham: Cameron, Halford, Cole, B Woodhouse, Tagg, Bamford, M Betts, West, Pask, Day, Haynes. Subs used: Delicata, Savoury, J Betts.