Ghosts have lift-off
At last Fakenham Town have climbed off the bottom of Ridgeons League Division One after a season-long tenure.They handed over the wooden spoon position to Long Melford, and with games in hand will aim to finish higher.
At last Fakenham Town have climbed off the bottom of Ridgeons League Division One after a season-long tenure.
They handed over the wooden spoon position to Long Melford, and with games in hand will aim to finish higher.
On Saturday they travel to mid-table Whitton United.
Fakenham Town 5, Cornard United 2
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham kicked off against a blustery wind and had a dream start, racing into a two-goal lead within seven minutes against the team just above them at the bottom of the table, writes Paul Wright.
Julian Delicata skilfully controlled a free-kick into the area to drive home from 15 yards, then turned provider to loop a right-wing cross in front of goal for Mark Critten to flick home.
- 1 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 2 Day of two halves - Footballer wins £80,000 and breaks leg in 24 hours
- 3 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
- 4 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases
- 5 7 outdoor events happening in Norfolk and Waveney this weekend
- 6 Hairdressers excited to reopen salon and welcome back clients
- 7 Woman left with 'serious back injuries' after pub fight
- 8 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
- 9 Park-and-ride scheme plan for busy seaside towns
- 10 'It's a win/win' - Fakenham group to sell merchandise at The Larder
Fakenham had efforts from Ben Darby then Tom Bryant squandered before Cornard reduced the arrears on 22 minutes when the home defence failed to defend a set piece, with Lawson allowed a close-range header from a free-kick.
Cornard's persistence paid off with the equaliser coming in the 35th minute, Lawson again heading home a left-wing cross.
Fakenham re-took the lead in the 63rd minute, Delicata's shot rebounding off the bar for Nick Haynes to nod in from close range.
In the 81st minute Fakenham strengthened their hold on the game with man-of-the-match Critten beating two players before slotting a pass into the path of Darby, who side-stepped the keeper to stroke the ball into an empty net.
Delicata rounded the keeper in the last minute to make it five, a convincing win for the Ghosts .
Fakenham: D Stockdale, M Fenwick, I Raisbury, A Woodhouse, J Bamford, K Wittred, T Bryant, N Haynes, B Darby, J Delicata, M Critten. Subs: K Bacon, J Connelly, M King.
A minute's silence was observed before the match in memory of long-time supporter Ronnie Phillips, who died on Friday aged 82.