Ghosts head to the woods

Fakenham boss Wayne Anderson hopes his team will soon start showing the benefits of some punishing fitness training.

Anderson was angered by the manner of the recent 3-0 Ridgeons First Division defeat to Debenham LC and put his squad through some additional fitness work last week.

“I wasn’t very happy after the game and I made sure the lads realised it,” he said. “We trained on Tuesday and Thursday last week and on Tuesday we had them out running in the woods at Sandringham until about 9.30 at night.

“They responded very well – they knew they didn’t perform and hopefully we’ll see the rewards of that training in the next few games.

“We’re playing Ridgeons League football and it’s not always about the pretty stuff – you’ve got put in 100% because it’s a tough league.

“You sometimes get one or two not playing well but I felt against Debenham there were eight or nine who did not roll their sleeves up and give enough commitment to me or the team.

“There’s a good spirit in the camp, but we didn’t show the same hard work that we had done in the first few games.”

Most Read

The Ghosts’ promising start to the season has tapered away slightly in recent weeks and Anderson said: “We’ve had good wins against Brightlingsea and Cornard and we got a point at Cambridge University Press, so in terms of results we’re doing okay, but in my head I know we can do a lot better.”

This Saturday’s game at home to struggling Ipswich Wanderers is an opportunity to firmly erase memories of the Debenham setback and Anderson said: “Ipswich were a hard team to beat last season, they were very good technically and also physically strong, so obviously something has gone wrong there at the moment and hopefully we can come away with the three points.”

Anderson was this week hoping to hear good news about key midfielder Stephen Harvey, who has had an X-ray on the knee injury he suffered against Norwich United in pre-season.

Fakenham Town 0 Thetford Town 4

Battling Fakenham suffered a heavy home defeat to unbeaten Division One leaders Thetford on Tuesday night.

The Ghosts slipped behind to an unfortunate own goal from Carl Plumb in the closing stages of the first half.

The prolific Matt Dixon headed Thetford further in front on 65 minutes before Fakenham had an effort cleared off the line.

Matt Howard rifled home from the edge of the box and Simon Mann added a fourth.