Ghosts win with late strike
Long Melford 0, Fakenham Town 1
Fakenham snatched victory with an 85th-minute strike from Ben Coe.
It was a slightly makeshift team, with defender Matt Gilchrist playing centre-forward and Lee Hyde back in defence.
In a wind-affected game, there was little in the way of good flowing football from teams among the section’s lowest scorers. Keeper Tom Rix smothered an early home chance at a forward’s feet.
Fakenham were pleased to go into the break on even terms but in the second half they had to defend well, although making an occasional mistake. From one, Melford should have scored. Hyde sliced a clearance to Walker who, from close range, powered over.
You may also want to watch:
Melford introduced their new signing Dan Cann, who blasted a low shot narrowly wide.
A few half-chances came and went for both teams, but nothing clear-cut, and the match appeared to be drifting towards a goal-less draw until the 85th minute.
- 1 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 2 Fakenham manager calls on town to support team from afar in FA Vase clash
- 3 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 4 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 5 Vandals smash planters two days after gallery reopens
- 6 Fakenham announce how fans can watch FA vase match
- 7 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 8 County council election 2021: Who is standing in north Norfolk?
- 9 Retiring judge lifts lid on career and says Norwich 'best' resident job
- 10 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
Melford defender Crissell, in attempting to get the ball under control, kicked it in the direction of keeper Wood, who gathered it. The referee awarded Fakenham an indirect free-kick inside the penalty area for a back-pass.
The ball was tapped to Coe who rifled it low and hard into the bottom-right corner.
In the 90th minute Melford wasted two chances to equalise.
Fakenham were well-organised, solid defensively and took their chance when it came.
Saturday sees Fakenham at Swaffham, the sides having just drawn at Clipbush Park.