Ghosts win with late strike
Long Melford 0, Fakenham Town 1
Fakenham snatched victory with an 85th-minute strike from Ben Coe.
It was a slightly makeshift team, with defender Matt Gilchrist playing centre-forward and Lee Hyde back in defence.
In a wind-affected game, there was little in the way of good flowing football from teams among the section’s lowest scorers. Keeper Tom Rix smothered an early home chance at a forward’s feet.
Fakenham were pleased to go into the break on even terms but in the second half they had to defend well, although making an occasional mistake. From one, Melford should have scored. Hyde sliced a clearance to Walker who, from close range, powered over.
Melford introduced their new signing Dan Cann, who blasted a low shot narrowly wide.
A few half-chances came and went for both teams, but nothing clear-cut, and the match appeared to be drifting towards a goal-less draw until the 85th minute.
- 1 Repair work set to get under way at 'carbuncle' property
- 2 Host of Fakenham Jubilee events revealed
- 3 Dentist staff working round the clock to address 'enforcement action'
- 4 Fakenham swimming pool plans - Everything you need to know
- 5 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 6 'An iron man in a wooden boat' - Tribute paid to legendary coxswain
- 7 The Female Fisherman 'overwhelmed' by national award win
- 8 Dog and group cut off by tide saved after being spotted waist-high in water
- 9 Council set to sell mobile home site
- 10 Cadets head out for a week at sea
Melford defender Crissell, in attempting to get the ball under control, kicked it in the direction of keeper Wood, who gathered it. The referee awarded Fakenham an indirect free-kick inside the penalty area for a back-pass.
The ball was tapped to Coe who rifled it low and hard into the bottom-right corner.
In the 90th minute Melford wasted two chances to equalise.
Fakenham were well-organised, solid defensively and took their chance when it came.
Saturday sees Fakenham at Swaffham, the sides having just drawn at Clipbush Park.