Goal quest goes on for Ghosts
Saturday's home Ridgeons One defeat stretched the Ghost's goalless run to five games.They finished the day detached at the foot of the table after this basement battle ended in a four goal flourish in the last quarter hour.
Saturday's home Ridgeons One defeat stretched the Ghost's goalless run to five games.
They finished the day detached at the foot of the table after this basement battle ended in a four goal flourish in the last quarter hour.
On Saturday Fakenham are in Norfolk Senior Cup action at home to Stalham Town (3pm) with increasingly frustrated fans expecting a win in a competition the Ghosts have won seven times.
The result against Saffron Walden would have been so different had any one of a hatful of chances been taken by Fakenham.
Martin Fenwick found the keeper's arms from distance early on. Ben Darby headed wide from Adam Woodhouse's free-kick then Darby and Julian Delicata combined to set up Mark Betts for a shot which was saved.
A fine cross field pass by Delicata set Matty Hooks on a run which ended with a shot wide.
- 1 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 2 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 3 Ladies to take centre stage at Fakenham Races season finale
- 4 Brewery's platinum ale sells out
- 5 Fears home-building halt could delay huge Fakenham expansion
- 6 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Plant Lovers' Day set to return at Creake Abbey
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
A Darby shot lacked pace, another had the sting taken out of it by a deflection then his header went straight at the keeper.
At the other end home keeper Daniel Stockdale and his defence weathered the storm..
The match looked set to end in a goalless draw until the 77th minute. A long ball found the visitors' Kevin Vallis in space to head home.
A minute later, after a Darby effort hit a Walden post, Vallis made it 2-0 on the counter attack.
Strikes from substitutes Joseph Anderson and Bradley Green in the final two minutes completed home fans' frustrations.
News that striker Karl Pask was back in action for the reserves was tempered by the fact that the side lost 7-1 at Beccles Caxton.
The A team won 1-0 against West Lynn Riverside in the first round of the Norfolk Primary Cup.
With Ben Drew taking up a new job, Fakenham are looking for a first team physio - applications to Mark King 01328 855843 or Stuart Woodhouse 01328 851736.
Meanwhile, Fakenham managed to find the back of the net on Wednesday night in the league, but lost 2-1 at Great Yarmouth.