High fives as Ghosts get valuable victory

Fakenham Town got back to winning ways, albeit against the Ridgeons First Division’s bottom side, producing a nap-hand of goals which they should have doubled.

A fine second-half display, with youth playing its part, restored the squad’s confidence even though converting chances remains a problem.

Ben Coe scored a penalty to get the ball rolling and in the second half he added another, again from the spot. Sam Garner, Lee Hyde and 17-year-old Ed Skinner provided the final scoreline with one in reply.

The win pleased manager Wayne Anderson. “It was a good result,” he said. “The boys did well for me and worked hard. We could have won 13-1, we missed so many chances.

“It was nice to see U18 player Ed Skinner score. He has been in the first team for a few weeks and looks a good prospect.”

He said Liam Bowley, signed recently from North Lynn Discovery, has been a good addition to the team, and provided the pass for Garner to score.

“There’s good things happening at Fakenham Town at the moment, players are working hard in training. Hopefully we can win against Stowmarket and then we’re back at Cornard the week after,” he added.

Most Read

“The youngsters are being given a chance to feature in the first team. They are proving them are just as good as the rest of the lads who have been in Ridgeons football for a few years.”

On Saturday, Fakenham have a tough trip to Stowmarket.

Fakenham Town 5, Cornard United 1

Fakenham posted their biggest victory of the season so far against lowly Cornard on a heavy, rain-affected pitch at Clipbush Park, writes Paul Wright.

With defender Matt Gilchrist still out through injury, the Ghosts kept to the side that lost at Swaffham.

After four minutes Ben Coe was pushed on the edge of the area, and calmly converted the resulting spot-kick.

There followed a litany of missed chances, wayward shooting and resilient defending as Fakenham chances came and went.

Sam Garner found plenty of width down the right flank as Stephen Harvey pressed forward from his full-back position in support. Liam Bowley displayed clever footwork to evade two tackles before crossing, but Ben Coe failed to connect.

Ashley Manning chased a loose ball into the area. A defender’s clearance cannoned off him to loop over the keeper’s head and clipped the bar.

Jjust before half-time Manning and visiting keeper Walker collided, Manning continued after treatment but Walker was replaced by stand-in Chapman.

The second half resumed with Ed Skinner replacing Manning, and his power and pace was used to good effect down the right flank as Sam Garner took up a more central role.

The Ghosts increased their lead when defender Lee Hyde got in on the action, slamming home a low shot from the edge of the area. Coe bagged his second penalty after he had been brought down inside the box.

Cornard had keeper Chapman to thank for keeping the score down with three excellent saves, coupled with two goal-line clearances.

Toby Harris came on for Liam Bowley and Jason Day for Dan Savory as Fakenham continued to pin Cornard back. Ed Skinner capped a fine second-half display when he clipped the ball in after the keeper had blocked Garner’s shot, then Garner made it five when he ran onto Harvey’s through ball and took it wide of the keeper.

Cornard denied Fakenham a clean sheet when Wayne Pannel broke through to score late on.

Fakenham: Rix, Pease, Hyde, Rawlings, Harvey, Bamford, Savory , Coe, Garner, Bowley, Manning. Subs: Day, Skinner, Harris, Greer.