Home defeat leaves Fakenham in Norfolk Alliance Premier Division drop zone
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Fakenham dropped into the Norfolk Alliance Premier Division relegation zone at the weekend after sliding to their seventh loss of the season.
Following a 60 run defeat at the hands of title-chasing Cromer at Highfield Lawn they were overtaken by Horsford A, who improved their position by seeing off fellow strugglers Sprowston.
Fakenham are now two points behind a side who have found some form in recent weeks and will be looking to do something about that when when they travel to Old Buckenham on Saturday (1pm start).
After slipping to 41-3 at the weekend visitors Cromer were indebted to a fourth wicket stand of 168 between Richard Charlwood (87) and David Turner (81), who each hit six fours and three sixes in entertaining knocks that enabled their side to post a testing target of 254-6.
Lloyd Marshall was the pick of the home bowlers, taking 4-32 in his 10 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham started their reply in impressive fashion, with openers Keegan Monahan-Fairlie (53) and Marshall (41) putting on 101 for the first wicket, but once they were parted the wickets started to tumble at regular intervals.
Kristian Regis was destroyer-in-chief with superb figures of 8-0-35-6 as Fakenham were bowled out for 194 in the 48th over.
- 1 Chocolate factory gets coronavirus cases down to two following outbreak
- 2 Medal of US airman who saved 18 lives in 1953 floods returns to Norfolk
- 3 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 4 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 5 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 6 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 7 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 8 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 9 Every Child Online: Funds flood in to schemes around the county
- 10 Teenager creates bucket list for 'amazing' dog after cancer diagnosis
The win kept Cromer a point ahead of Downham Town who brushed aside morning leaders Old Buckenham.
The Bucks were skittled out for just 99 in the 36th over before openers Ian Harrison (58 not out) and Alex Stuart (31 not out) saw their side home with the minimum of fuss.
Fakenham A were comprehensively beaten by Winterton in Division Three.
They were skittled out for just 67, with Ben Utting (4-30), Joe Smart (2-11) and Tom Whichelow (2-7) doing the damage.
Skipper Harrison Futter was the only Fakenham player to make double figures, reaching 23.
In reply Winterton got home without loss as openers Devon Brannigan (27) and Wesley Noble-Parker (31) knocked off the runs in just over 21 overs.
Fakenham seconds host their Sprowston counterparts on Saturday.