Home defeat leaves Fakenham in Norfolk Alliance Premier Division drop zone
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Fakenham dropped into the Norfolk Alliance Premier Division relegation zone at the weekend after sliding to their seventh loss of the season.
Following a 60 run defeat at the hands of title-chasing Cromer at Highfield Lawn they were overtaken by Horsford A, who improved their position by seeing off fellow strugglers Sprowston.
Fakenham are now two points behind a side who have found some form in recent weeks and will be looking to do something about that when when they travel to Old Buckenham on Saturday (1pm start).
After slipping to 41-3 at the weekend visitors Cromer were indebted to a fourth wicket stand of 168 between Richard Charlwood (87) and David Turner (81), who each hit six fours and three sixes in entertaining knocks that enabled their side to post a testing target of 254-6.
Lloyd Marshall was the pick of the home bowlers, taking 4-32 in his 10 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham started their reply in impressive fashion, with openers Keegan Monahan-Fairlie (53) and Marshall (41) putting on 101 for the first wicket, but once they were parted the wickets started to tumble at regular intervals.
Kristian Regis was destroyer-in-chief with superb figures of 8-0-35-6 as Fakenham were bowled out for 194 in the 48th over.
- 1 Rubbish dating back 40 years found in market town litter pick
- 2 'Absolutely fantastic' - Mid-Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 3 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 4 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 5 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 6 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
- 7 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 8 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 9 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
- 10 9 things that have changed in Dereham since lockdown one
The win kept Cromer a point ahead of Downham Town who brushed aside morning leaders Old Buckenham.
The Bucks were skittled out for just 99 in the 36th over before openers Ian Harrison (58 not out) and Alex Stuart (31 not out) saw their side home with the minimum of fuss.
Fakenham A were comprehensively beaten by Winterton in Division Three.
They were skittled out for just 67, with Ben Utting (4-30), Joe Smart (2-11) and Tom Whichelow (2-7) doing the damage.
Skipper Harrison Futter was the only Fakenham player to make double figures, reaching 23.
In reply Winterton got home without loss as openers Devon Brannigan (27) and Wesley Noble-Parker (31) knocked off the runs in just over 21 overs.
Fakenham seconds host their Sprowston counterparts on Saturday.