'Impressive' Mexican driver joins Norfolk-based team's F3 line-up
- Credit: Elite Motorsport
An "impressive" 16-year-old from Mexico has become the third and final member of a Norfolk-based racing team's British Formula 3 line-up.
San Luis Potosí-born José Garfias has been announced as Shipdham-based Elite Motorsport's final driver in the 2021 BRDC F3 Championship.
Garfias began carting at the age of 11, winning multiple races before his first season of car racing in October 2019.
The 16-year-old netted fourth place in the 2019-20 North and Central American Formula 4 Championship, impressively recording 15 top-five placings in the 20 race series including three victories.
As with recently announced F3 team-mate Javier Sagrera Pont, the signing of Garfias with Elite Motorsport has been facilitated by Seven GP, a driver development programme, formed in the '80s by Mexican Picho Toledano.
Elite Motorsport team owner, Eddie Ives, said: “I’m very much looking forward to welcoming José into our team.
“José impressed me in his initial F3 test at Valencia last December, he was very quick considering his experience.
You may also want to watch:
"He’ll be embarking on his maiden F3 season and like Javier, racing in Britain for the first time, but I’m certain with some races under his belt, he’ll score some good results during the course of the year."
Also joining Garfias is 15-year-old Tom Lebbon from Bury St Edmunds, who won last year's Ginetta Junior Championship in his maiden season of car racing.
"My goal for this season is to learn and gain more experience," the Mexican said. "Hopefully I can have success along the way.
- 1 Fakenham figure - Questions put to community celebrities
- 2 What's reopening in Fakenham from May 17?
- 3 Mum who survived grapefruit sized tumour celebrates £1m milestone
- 4 New owner of business park could have lost trade without purchase
- 5 Delight at housing association seals award for affordable homes
- 6 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 7 What would you bury in time capsule under new swimming pool?
- 8 North Norfolk brewery uses lockdown to create its strongest ever beer
- 9 Buses converted into Covid testing units ahead of expected third wave
- 10 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
"I am very excited for 2021 because racing in Europe, and F3, will be something completely new for me.
“I can’t wait for the season to start, racing on the famous tracks in Britain, and to work with the guys at Elite Motorsport.
“I would also like to thank everyone who is involved in this exciting project. For the support from Seven GP and to Eddie [Ives] for giving me this amazing opportunity.”
The 24-race F3 season is scheduled to begin at Brands Hatch on May 22-23.