Katie Sammacicci hat-trick earns draw for Evergreens
Evergreens 3, Thetford 3
In their first home game of the season, Evergreens made a lightning start against visitors Thetford and took the lead within 30 seconds.
Katy Howell won possession and quickly passed the ball out wide to Harriet Segasby, who used her pace down the wing before firing the ball towards the back post, where Katie Sammacicci was waiting to sweep the ball home.
Evergreens continued to press and played some attractive hockey, moving the ball around well and creating a number of chances. However, Evergreens were caught out by a quick counter attack from Thetford and found themselves outnumbered. Sam Turner made a last ditch attempt to block the shot but the ball deflected into the goal off of her stick.
Evergreens were determined to reclaim their lead and did so with a swift move which mirrored their first goal. This time it was Kathryn Gordon who fired the ball into the D, and once again Sammacicci was there to sweep the ball home for the second time. Evergreens then lost midfielder Chantelle Baker to injury but managed to see it out to half-time with a 2-1 lead.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw both teams battling it out with end to end hockey. Thetford earned themselves a series of short corners which eventually paid off with a piercing strike which found the back of the Evergreens goal to bring the scores level.
Abi White was a rock in the Evergreens defence and keeper Su Hoogendyk made some good saves to keep Thetford at bay.
- 1 Historic pub seeking new licence despite neighbour concerns
- 2 Proposal could see eight new homes built in Fakenham
- 3 'We will not be deterred' - Allotment user building group following vandals
- 4 A real quacker! Town comes together for popular riverside day
- 5 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 6 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 7 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 8 Fundraisers come out swinging at charity golf day
- 9 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 10 Two fisherman saved from boat taking on water
Thetford made another quick counter attack and took the lead with a well worked goal.
With just minutes left to play, Evergreens dug deep and earned a short corner. Hannah Mitchell injected the ball to Sammacicci, whose exquisite first touch control set up her thunderous strike, which deflected off a Thetford stick and flew into the roof of the net to complete her hat trick and earn Evergreens a share of the points.
PoM: Katie Sammacicci