Lack of bite Town’s failing

Fakenham Town 0, Whitton United 1

Fakenham’s current frailties in front of goal were highlighted in this game when they failed to score against a side that played with 10 men for over an hour, and were reduced to nine men with 10 minutes remaining.

Wayne Anderson rang the changes from the previous defeat at Thetford, naming Sam Garner in the side following his return from RAF duties, Ed Skinner made his first outing of the season, and both Ben Savory and Jake Betts returned from injury, writes Paul Wright.

Whitton showed early on why they are a free-scoring side, with plenty of pace on both flanks and a supporting midfield that chased and harried everything. Marcus Josiah was their main threat. He was the instigator of virtually every attack.

But for all the dominance and pressure early on from Whitton, Rix was not called on to make a save until the 12th minute when Josiah and full-back Brown combined well on the edge of the area to force Rix to concede a corner from a low shot.

Whitton broke the deadlock in the 13th minute when striker Wright broke through the home defence and ran 25 yards before coolly placing the ball wide of Rix.

A series of niggling fouls culminated in Wright being given his marching orders after he was adjudged to have elbowed Luke Greer in an aeriel challenge on the half-hour.

Most Read

Fakenham’s first and best chance of the half came soon after when Hyde flicked his header from Harvey’s corner narrowly wide.

The half was punctuated by a series of fouls and stoppages that interrupted the rhythm to the game.

The second half continued much in the same vein although Fakenham were pushing further forward in the hope of salvaging something and Anderson replaced Hyde in a bid to liven up proceedings.

The change was evident as Fakenham started to create more chances, with Anderson digging out a cross from the by-line only to see his lofted cross taken by the keeper.

Ashley Manning and Ben Coe replaced Betts and Skinner and were straight into the thick of the action as Mannings close-range effort was blocked on the line. Ben Coe then finished off a fine run with a shot well wide of the upright.

The game flared up in the 80th minute when Josiah was given his second yellow card for a late challenge on Rix.

Fakenham pushed on hard for the equaliser, looking to make their number advantage count and even keeper Rix entered the fray when he came up for a corner kick.

But as Fakenham pressed forward they left themselves exposed and Whitton could easily have added to their lead when substitute Gibson finished off a breakaway move with a tame shot wide of the mark.