Last-gasp penalty denies Ghosts victory ahead of trip to league leaders
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham Town drew 2-2 away against Hadleigh United on Saturday afternoon, a result which saw Wayne Anderson’s Ghosts drop down to 14th position in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division table.
But had it not been for a penalty awarded in the final minute, it could so easily have been Fakenham bringing all three points back to Norfolk.
Ashley Jarvis opened the scoring for the Ghosts in the 14th minute, a lead which then lasted until the 12th minute of the second half when Hadleigh grabbed an equaliser.
With eight minutes left in the game, it seemed Fakenham had done enough to take the honours.
Matty Dye beat the home goalkeeper with a 30-yard shot into the top corner of the net to edge the Ghosts back into the lead.
You may also want to watch:
But it turned out to be just a point for the visiting team, with the last-gasp penalty pegging them back once again and leaving them with just a single point to contemplate on the lengthy journey back to Norfolk.
Fakenham Town: Rix, Gilchrist, Dougal, Franks, Youngs, D Williams, Garner, Dye, Glover, Jarvis, Jackson. Subs: Akers, Plumb, Abbott, Harvey, Colman.
- 1 Last man alive to be born at country home celebrates 100th birthday
- 2 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 3 Lifeboat launched to rescue broken down 30ft cruiser
- 4 Testing plea for visitors as holiday season heats up
- 5 Ever fancied 'forest bathing'? How being close to nature can ease stress
- 6 Siblings united for pop-up selling burgers and ice cream on farm
- 7 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 8 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
- 9 Community brings flower power to village streets
- 10 I don't fear change in north Norfolk - just keep what makes it special
The Ghosts travel to leaders and title favourites Mildenhall Town on Saturday, following on from last night’s semi-final outing against Harleston, the winners from which will be facing Kings Lynn at Carrow Road on May 22, after they beat Norwich United 5-4 in a penalty shoot-out on Tuesday evening in the other Norfolk Senior Cup semi-final.
Fakenham’s Reserves ran out comfortable 4-0 winners at home to Hemsby in the Anglian Combination League Division Three, with goals foming from Ricky Claxton, Johny Lane and a brace from new signing Ashley Quantrill. The victory kept up Fakenham’s hopes in the battle for promotion at the top of the table where the race is really hotting up as the season reaches a climax.
On Saturday, Fakenham’s Clipbush Park plays host to a local derby league clash when Swaffham Town Reserves are the visitors for a 2.30pm kick off.
Fakenham Ladies were disappointed to go down 1-2 at Sprowston to exit the Ladies Plate competition on Sunday. This Sunday, at 2pm, they are at home to North Walsham Ladies.