Last-gasp penalty denies Ghosts victory ahead of trip to league leaders
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham Town drew 2-2 away against Hadleigh United on Saturday afternoon, a result which saw Wayne Anderson’s Ghosts drop down to 14th position in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division table.
But had it not been for a penalty awarded in the final minute, it could so easily have been Fakenham bringing all three points back to Norfolk.
Ashley Jarvis opened the scoring for the Ghosts in the 14th minute, a lead which then lasted until the 12th minute of the second half when Hadleigh grabbed an equaliser.
With eight minutes left in the game, it seemed Fakenham had done enough to take the honours.
Matty Dye beat the home goalkeeper with a 30-yard shot into the top corner of the net to edge the Ghosts back into the lead.
But it turned out to be just a point for the visiting team, with the last-gasp penalty pegging them back once again and leaving them with just a single point to contemplate on the lengthy journey back to Norfolk.
Fakenham Town: Rix, Gilchrist, Dougal, Franks, Youngs, D Williams, Garner, Dye, Glover, Jarvis, Jackson. Subs: Akers, Plumb, Abbott, Harvey, Colman.
- 1 Film studio which brought John Travolta to Norfolk shuts for good
- 2 Norfolk winery wins prestigious national award
- 3 Drink driving teacher crashed into church wall with baby in car
- 4 Fakenham farm bids to open field for dog exercise
- 5 Sparse and getting older - What the census says about north Norfolk
- 6 Villagers celebrate victory in 'battle of East Rudham common'
- 7 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 8 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 9 Headteacher set to depart school after 'proud' 12 years
- 10 Fisherman could close business after society rejects membership bids
The Ghosts travel to leaders and title favourites Mildenhall Town on Saturday, following on from last night’s semi-final outing against Harleston, the winners from which will be facing Kings Lynn at Carrow Road on May 22, after they beat Norwich United 5-4 in a penalty shoot-out on Tuesday evening in the other Norfolk Senior Cup semi-final.
Fakenham’s Reserves ran out comfortable 4-0 winners at home to Hemsby in the Anglian Combination League Division Three, with goals foming from Ricky Claxton, Johny Lane and a brace from new signing Ashley Quantrill. The victory kept up Fakenham’s hopes in the battle for promotion at the top of the table where the race is really hotting up as the season reaches a climax.
On Saturday, Fakenham’s Clipbush Park plays host to a local derby league clash when Swaffham Town Reserves are the visitors for a 2.30pm kick off.
Fakenham Ladies were disappointed to go down 1-2 at Sprowston to exit the Ladies Plate competition on Sunday. This Sunday, at 2pm, they are at home to North Walsham Ladies.