Late penalty gives Fakenham rugby win
Fakenham II 11, Norwich IV 10
RUGBY: Fakenham built on last week’s success over Watton to record their second win in Merit Table Three in this hard-fought encounter.
The visitors arrived in good form and took an early lead with a well-worked try out wide. Fakenham’s resolute defence kept the visitors at bay before a well-worked backs move saw young Alex Long cross on the wing for his first try in Fakenham colours.
Norwich hit back with another try at the start of the second half and the Fakenham boys had to rally with old heads Wheeler, Hogg and Price leading by example.
With 15 minutes to go the visitors still held the lead despite some strong attacking moves from Fakenham. Then veteran match-winner House replaced the injured Clay.
You may also want to watch:
He calmly converted a penalty. This strengthened Fakenham’s resolve and their pressure paid off with a 40m penalty in the dying seconds.
Again it was the cool-headed House who slotted the ball over to give Fakenham the win they so richly deserved.
- 1 Chocolate factory gets coronavirus cases down to two following outbreak
- 2 Medal of US airman who saved 18 lives in 1953 floods returns to Norfolk
- 3 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 4 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 5 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 6 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 7 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 8 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 9 Every Child Online: Funds flood in to schemes around the county
- 10 Teenager creates bucket list for 'amazing' dog after cancer diagnosis
Assistant manager Paul Richardson was ecstatic with the result and praised Fakenham for their commitment, particularly in their tackling.
MoM: Alex Long.