Late Plumb goal seals first win of the season for Fakenham Town
- Credit: Ian Burt
Fakenham Town finally got their season up and running on Tuesday evening with a dramatic 2-1 win against Ely City at Clipbush Park.
Kyle Plumb struck in the 90th minute to put the smile back on the Ghosts’ faces after a poor start to the season which had seen them bow out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle and lose their opening five league games while scoring just one goal.
Fakenham were made to work very hard for all three points, at times riding their luck, and relying on the agility of keeper Tommy Rix to keep their high-flying visitors at bay.
With just five minutes on the clock, a ball into the box from new signing Ross Brewster was turned into his own net by defender Tom Williams.
Ely then equalised with just under 20 minutes left and that gave the visitors a new lease of life as they looked to continue their good start to the season, pushing forward for the winning goal.
You may also want to watch:
But it was to be Fakenham’s night, as Plumb slotted home after the Ely keeper had reacted smartly to keep out a shot, with injury time looming at the end of the second half.
A defeat was perhaps a little harsh on Ely, as they’d had their chances, but for the first time this season the Ghosts had got something out of a game they’d at times dominated.
- 1 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 2 'She was a fighter'- Tributes to music-loving Kelsey, 27
- 3 Rugby club left 'frustrated' after finding dog mess on their pitch
- 4 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 5 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 6 Storm Christoph flood fears bring spike in sandbag sales
- 7 Electrical store helps school's computer appeal
- 8 'Exceptional demand' as thousands in Norfolk seek coronavirus hardship fund help
- 9 'Stay indoors' warning amid flooding fears for Norfolk roads
- 10 Banksy-style doctor street art appears on shop front
The win, which takes Robbie Harris’s men off of the foot of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division table, followed on from a 3-0 away defeat against Hadleigh United on Saturday.
Aaron Bull opened the scoring on the half hour mark, with Michael Barwick doubling the home side’s advantage midway through the second half and Bull completing the scoring late on.
Up next for the Ghosts is a trip to Brantham Athletic, who have only lost one of the first six league games, on Saturday aftenoon (3pm).
Fakenham’s Reserve side, several of whom featured in Tuesday’s first team win, continued their fine start to Anglian Combination Division Two life with a 4-2 win at Brandon Town on Saturday, with goals coming from Ben Darby (2), Ricky Claxton and Tom East.
That win had followed a 6-0 home win against local rivals Wells Town last Wednesday, with goals from Ben Darby (3), Callum Brain (2) and Carlos Greeves. The side have no fixture this weekend.