League win, cup defeat for Ghosts

Fakenham Town, boosted by their first league win in eight games at the weekend, have a rare chance of back-to-back Ridgeons First Division victories on Saturday when they visit bottom side Cornard.

Fakenham Town 2,Long Melford 1

THE Ghosts claimed an important three points in their quest to climb the league table against visitors who could have been on the end of a heavier defeat had Town turned their superiority into goals.

Lee Hyde started up front for Fakenham as Matt Gilchrist returned to defensive duties after a two-week holiday, writes Paul Wright.

Long Melford were depleted with five regulars missing, including front man Williams who was the difference between the two sides when they met a few weeks ago in the FA Vase.

Fakenham started the brighter as Melford looked way out of sorts, and took the lead when Ben Coe whipped in a low corner after just 12 minutes on which Matt Gilchrist claimed the last touch.

Within 12 minutes Karl Pask latched onto a long clearance from Gilchrist to round the keeper and slot home.

Most Read

Fakenham’s dominance was evident as Long Melford were reduced to niggling fouls. In the second half Melford opted for a three-man defence and pushing veteran French up front as a target man, but the ploy didn’t really work as Fakenham still held the upper hand in midfield.

However, Melford were allowed a glimpse of a comeback midway through the second half when keeper Tom Rix caught a high corner when under pressure only to fall over the line with the ball, and concede the goal, claims for a foul denied.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men with 20 minutes remaining as skipper Skeggs collected his second yellow card for a rash challenge on Jake Betts.

Anderson introduced subs Ashley Manning and Jason Day for Cole and Betts. Hyde should have done better with a glancing header that flew wide, but the miss of the day came in the dying minutes when Coe blasted high and wide from only two yards after Manning put in a lovely teasing cross to the far post.

Team: Rix, Harvey, Gilchrist, Greer, Pease, Betts, Bamford, Cole, Coe, Hyde, Pask. Subs: Manning, Rawlings, Day.

Supporters were boosted by news of the reserve team’s remarkable Norfolk Junior Cup comeback against visitors East Harling.

From 3-1 down at half-time the Ghosts hit back to win 4-3. Julian Delicata got their first, and after Darren Haynes had made it 3-2, Delicata went on the complete his hat-trick to round off the side’s fine teamwork.

Fakenham Town 0, Gorleston 2

THE Ghosts never got to grips with the windy conditions on Tuesday night and went out of the Ridgeons Division One Cup in disappointing fashion.

The Greens seized the initiative in the second half. They went ahead after 59 minutes whan an attempted clearance hit Steve Taylor and fell kindly for him to score.

In the 87th minute Bradley Hough headed home at the far post from a long ball from the left.