Milestone win for Phoenix
Fakenham Phoenix U16 17, North Walsham U16 12
RUGBY: Fakenham Phoenix U16 reached a major milestone on Sunday with their first ever win over North Walsham.
From the outset it was clear that the Phoenix were not going to be intimidated by the well-drilled Walsham outfit. Winger Ryan Smith opened the scoring mid-way through the first half for Fakenham before Walsham responded with a converted score.
Before the break Charlie Harding grounded the ball to reward a fine driving maul. After a long stalemate, and despite an excellent last-ditch tackle, Walsham again took the lead with a try in the corner.
But with only five minutes to go, an undaunted Fakenham put the pressure on and finally quick hands from Jack Halfpenny found John Phoenix coming off his wing. He was stopped within meters of the line but offloaded to Connor Smith, who scored under the posts and snatched the win.
You may also want to watch:
In an excellent all-round team performance, special mention went to man of the match Steven Clarke whose work rate was exemplary.
With two-thirds of the winning team eligible for the U15s’ trip to Wymondham, the squad will travel to Tuttles Lane buoyed with confidence.
- 1 Rubbish dating back 40 years found in market town litter pick
- 2 'Absolutely fantastic' - Mid-Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 3 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 4 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 5 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 6 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
- 7 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 8 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 9 'Back doing what I love' - Fakenham welcomes another 'new normal'
- 10 9 things that have changed in Dereham since lockdown one
Fakenham: Craig Prior, Jim Crawford, Ted Giles, Adam Lingwood, Joe Mair, Steven Clarke, Charlie Harding, Joe Sayer, Rory Singleton, Jack Halfpenny, John Phoenix, Connor Smith, Callum Harding, Ryan Smith, George Loades, Joshua Ramm, Luke Watts, Toby Betts.