Milestone win for Phoenix
Fakenham Phoenix U16 17, North Walsham U16 12
RUGBY: Fakenham Phoenix U16 reached a major milestone on Sunday with their first ever win over North Walsham.
From the outset it was clear that the Phoenix were not going to be intimidated by the well-drilled Walsham outfit. Winger Ryan Smith opened the scoring mid-way through the first half for Fakenham before Walsham responded with a converted score.
Before the break Charlie Harding grounded the ball to reward a fine driving maul. After a long stalemate, and despite an excellent last-ditch tackle, Walsham again took the lead with a try in the corner.
But with only five minutes to go, an undaunted Fakenham put the pressure on and finally quick hands from Jack Halfpenny found John Phoenix coming off his wing. He was stopped within meters of the line but offloaded to Connor Smith, who scored under the posts and snatched the win.
You may also want to watch:
In an excellent all-round team performance, special mention went to man of the match Steven Clarke whose work rate was exemplary.
With two-thirds of the winning team eligible for the U15s’ trip to Wymondham, the squad will travel to Tuttles Lane buoyed with confidence.
- 1 Chocolate factory gets coronavirus cases down to two following outbreak
- 2 Medal of US airman who saved 18 lives in 1953 floods returns to Norfolk
- 3 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 4 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 5 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 6 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 7 Every Child Online: Funds flood in to schemes around the county
- 8 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 9 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 10 Teenager creates bucket list for 'amazing' dog after cancer diagnosis
Fakenham: Craig Prior, Jim Crawford, Ted Giles, Adam Lingwood, Joe Mair, Steven Clarke, Charlie Harding, Joe Sayer, Rory Singleton, Jack Halfpenny, John Phoenix, Connor Smith, Callum Harding, Ryan Smith, George Loades, Joshua Ramm, Luke Watts, Toby Betts.