Murfit hat-trick for Seasiders
Sprowston Wanderers 1, Wells Town 4Wells travelled to Barkers Lane with a skeleton side due to late call-offs to face a very young team trying to avoid relegation from senior football.
Sprowston Wanderers 1, Wells Town 4
Wells travelled to Barkers Lane with a skeleton side due to late call-offs to face a very young team trying to avoid relegation from senior football.
Stanley for Wanderers saved well from an early Grocott header, Bruce cleared another Wells attack at the expense of a corner, the flag-kick being headed over by Cooper.
Macnab-Grieve saw a long-range effort fly wide of the home goal, and both keepers made crucial saves. McCallum saw a diving header go just wide from a 21st minute corner, the same player then had a goal ruled out for handball.
Wells broke the deadlock in the 37th minute when Murfit collected a good ball and ran at the home defence before passing to Grocott, who slotted home. Two minutes later Murfit added Wells' second when he chipped the keeper from distance.
Wells were then awarded a penalty following a push in the area, Murfit converting the spot-kick.
- 1 Fears home-building halt could delay huge Fakenham expansion
- 2 More details revealed on replacement for beloved coastal railway
- 3 Yard sale exceeds expectation to raise £1,000 for Ukraine appeal
- 4 The Female Fisherman 'overwhelmed' by national award win
- 5 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 6 Ladies to take centre stage at Fakenham Races season finale
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 'Plenty of effort and hard work' - new Fakenham mayor's pledge to town
- 9 Dentist staff working round the clock to address 'enforcement action'
- 10 Host of Fakenham Jubilee events revealed
Diallo for the home side found space but shot wide of the target, In the 61st minute Murfit completed his hat-trick when he again ran at the home defence and slotted past Stanley.
Wells' back row of Cawston, Page, Frary and Cooper were limiting home attacks to an occasional sortie.
McCallum had another goal disallowed following a foul on Stanley, and Diallo scored a consolation goal for Wanderers from the penalty spot when he sent Fulford the wrong way.
Wells Town host Stalham Town on Saturday, Beach Road 2.30pm.
Wells Reserves travelled to face Wymondham Town Reserves and won 1-0 following a hard fought battle, Zak Ellis scoring. This win lifts the Seasiders' second string into 10th position in Division Four.
Wells Town Reserves travel to Thorpe Recreation Ground on Saturday to face St Andrews Reserves, ko 2.30pm.