Norfolk Alliance Premier Division champions Fakenham turn attentions to trying to seal EAPL return
- Credit: Archant
Fakenham have been handed a big boost after clinching the Dipple and Conway Opticians Norfolk Alliance Premier Division title, writes Chris Wise.
The new champions have been told they will be at home in the first of two games they must win to seal a return to the Gibbs Denley East Anglian Premier Division after a five-year exile.
Fakenham – who end their regular campaign at Cromer on Saturday – will host the winners of the Cambs and Hunts Premier League, most likely to be Godmanchester, in the semi-finals of the play-offs on Sunday, September 6. The prize for the successful team will be a trip to the Two Counties League champions for a winner-takes-all showdown as the season heads to a thrilling climax.
“The first thing we have got to remember is that we have still got one game to play in the Alliance before the play-offs,” said skipper Keegan Monahan-Fairlie, whose side secured the title at the weekend when they saw off Old Buckenham at Highfield Lawn while second-placed Sprowston were losing at Diss.
“We have won the title – and we are obviously delighted about that – but it’s really important we keep the momentum going into the play-offs.”
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham’s win against Old Buckenham last Saturday was a real team effort but overseas player Chad Bowes was again the star performer, scoring a brilliant unbeaten 131 to see his side home by five wickets when chasing a formidable total of 242-3.
The South African all-rounder has now scored 1,303 runs in the Alliance this season at an average of 108.50, while also taking 30 wickets.
- 1 Your say: What is your favourite TV show ever?
- 2 Vineyard's £250,000 new winery presses its first grapes
- 3 Are Fakenham businesses seeing an early rush for Christmas shopping?
- 4 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 5 Natalie Imbruglia announced for major new festival at Norfolk estate
- 6 Property spotlight: See inside this barn conversion for sale for £1.6m
- 7 Thursford pumpkin house opens for its fourth year
- 8 Do you remember these shocking scenes from floods of the past?
- 9 Plans for Fakenham remembrance services announced
- 10 RNLI to add 5,000 more names to new lifeboat