One catch lands British title
A 14-year-old Norfolk angler has been crowned British junior pike fishing champion.George Shipley, from Broome Green, North Elmham, caught just one small predator, scaling 1lb 2oz.
A 14-year-old Norfolk angler has been crowned British junior pike fishing champion.
George Shipley, from Broome Green, North Elmham, caught just one small predator, scaling 1lb 2oz.
But, on a bad day for fishing on the Whittlesey Fen Drains, it proved enough for him to carry off the junior trophy and tackle vouchers worth �200.
The Fakenham High School student, who qualified to fish the final on the Swanton Morley Fishery, found fish hard to tempt in the clear water that put the pike down.
You may also want to watch:
“I tossed in balls of light ground bait hoping to tempt small fish into the area followed by a few pike,”
- 1 Covid outbreak factory's safety message to customers
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 4 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 5 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 8 Campsite team's shock as couple turn up in campervan
- 9 Optician's lockdown eyesight health plea
- 10 'Sickened' car dealer watches thieves on CCTV
“I saw a small fish break the surface and it seemed like it was trying to escape from something bigger.
“I immediately tossed a small dead bait into that area and the pike grabbed the bait at once. It was not a monster but it was the only fish I saw caught by any anglers around me.”
Proud father Gordon said he was delighted for his son.
“George was kindly sponsored by Rob Parnell at the Fakenham fishing tackle shop and by our local butcher Sam Papworth. I am happy to say their generous support was justified by the result,” he said.
The adult champion was Paul Lenton (Doddington) with three fish totalling 33lb from the 20ft Drain and the heaviest on the day was taken by Aylesbury angler Wes Ogle, whose 20lb 4oz catch made him runner-up.