Cyclists are gearing up for this weekend’s Ride North Norfolk 2019 sportive event
The annual cycling event Ride North Norfolk will return this weekend, inviting cyclists from across the country to enjoy the coast roads as part of a registered British Cycling sportive.
When is it?
The ride begins on Sunday, August 25, but participants are encouraged to register early. On-the-day registration opens at 7.30am for riders on the 100 mile course.
At 8am, riders will set off and registration will open for riders travelling one of the shorter distances. Those cycling the 15 mile, 25 mile, 36 mile or 66 mile routes will depart between 9am and 11am.
Where is it?
Fakenham Community Centre is the ride's headquarters, and friends and family of riders are invited to stay there during the rides. Riders leave from there, with those on the longest route reaching Holt, Burnham Market and Massingham before returning.
Shorter routes will go to Walsingham, with some continuing to Burnham Market. All routes are well signposted, and GPS routes and maps are included in the registration fee.
- 1 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 2 Revealed: The towns and villages where metal thieves have struck
- 3 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 4 Like 'salt in the wound' - Councillor laments wind farm move
- 5 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 6 'Lucky' receptionist retires after 50 years at estate agents
- 7 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Interim parish council takes office after mass resignations
- 9 Headteacher set to depart school after 'proud' 12 years
- 10 Food bank urges public to donate items to supermarket appeal
How can I relax afterward?
Fakenham Community Centre will host a garden party open to all, with live music from Generation 3, who played at the town music festival, and others. A bar will serve drinks, and stalls will sell home-made cakes and food. Free massages will be available to riders.
What will the weather be like?
Sunshine is expected, with temperatures up to 28°C. Drinks tops will be available along the route.
What does it cost?
Prices are between £10 and £20, with discounts for signing up online. The price includes drinks and snacks, a goodie bag, water bottle, mobile mechanics, rescue service and first aid. Medals and trophies can also be claimed.
Can I ride for charity?
Donations from the event will got to First Focus, the Fakenham community group. Cyclists can also contact East Anglia's Children's Hospices to collect sponsorship for them.
Richard Crook, one of the organisers of the ride, said: "It's a good, healthy, fun day out for all ages and abilities. The weather is expected to be nice, so bring sunblock, and don't forget to check back in when you finish."
More information at www.activefakenham.org.uk