Cyclists are gearing up for this weekend’s Ride North Norfolk 2019 sportive event
The annual cycling event Ride North Norfolk will return this weekend, inviting cyclists from across the country to enjoy the coast roads as part of a registered British Cycling sportive.
When is it?
The ride begins on Sunday, August 25, but participants are encouraged to register early. On-the-day registration opens at 7.30am for riders on the 100 mile course.
At 8am, riders will set off and registration will open for riders travelling one of the shorter distances. Those cycling the 15 mile, 25 mile, 36 mile or 66 mile routes will depart between 9am and 11am.
Where is it?
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham Community Centre is the ride's headquarters, and friends and family of riders are invited to stay there during the rides. Riders leave from there, with those on the longest route reaching Holt, Burnham Market and Massingham before returning.
Shorter routes will go to Walsingham, with some continuing to Burnham Market. All routes are well signposted, and GPS routes and maps are included in the registration fee.
- 1 Market town set for 'modest' council tax precept rise
- 2 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 3 Electrical store helps school's computer appeal
- 4 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 5 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 6 Where the pines meet the sea on the north Norfolk coast
- 7 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 8 'Full' foodbank gets new home as demand surges
- 9 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 10 'She was a fighter'- Tributes to music-loving Kelsey, 27
How can I relax afterward?
Fakenham Community Centre will host a garden party open to all, with live music from Generation 3, who played at the town music festival, and others. A bar will serve drinks, and stalls will sell home-made cakes and food. Free massages will be available to riders.
What will the weather be like?
Sunshine is expected, with temperatures up to 28°C. Drinks tops will be available along the route.
What does it cost?
Prices are between £10 and £20, with discounts for signing up online. The price includes drinks and snacks, a goodie bag, water bottle, mobile mechanics, rescue service and first aid. Medals and trophies can also be claimed.
Can I ride for charity?
Donations from the event will got to First Focus, the Fakenham community group. Cyclists can also contact East Anglia's Children's Hospices to collect sponsorship for them.
Richard Crook, one of the organisers of the ride, said: "It's a good, healthy, fun day out for all ages and abilities. The weather is expected to be nice, so bring sunblock, and don't forget to check back in when you finish."
More information at www.activefakenham.org.uk