Rix heroics in vain for Ghosts
Fakenham 0, Gorleston 1FAKENHAM keeper Tom Rix saved two penalties but still ended up on the losing side as Gorleston grabbed a late winner at Clipbush Park on Tuesday.
Fakenham 0, Gorleston 1
FAKENHAM keeper Tom Rix saved two penalties but still ended up on the losing side as Gorleston grabbed a late winner at Clipbush Park on Tuesday.
The Greens, who had been reduced to 10 men on the hour mark when Kyle Howell was shown a straight red for a foul on Stephen Harvey, scored the game's only goal when Liam Bartley prodded home after a long free-kick from keeper Elliot Pride.
Pride had denied Tom McCarthy in the first half before Rix took centre stage, saving spot-kicks from Kevin Howes and Gary Williams.
But Fakenham couldn't take advantage of their numerical superiority and it was Bartley who had the final say.
Fakenham 0, Stowmarket 1
- 1 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 2 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 3 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 4 Fears home-building halt could delay huge Fakenham expansion
- 5 Hundreds of motors park up for classic vehicle day at Norfolk gardens
- 6 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast to pass over Norfolk
- 7 Ladies to take centre stage at Fakenham Races season finale
- 8 More details revealed on replacement for beloved coastal railway
- 9 Brewery's platinum ale sells out
- 10 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
FAKENHAM'S failure to find the back of the net cost them dearly again on Saturday.
The dye was cast in the opening eight minutes when three chances were spurned.
Jake Betts miscued from the edge of the area with the goal beckoning, before Jason Day and Tom McCarthy missed openings. The Ghosts paid the penalty when substitute Bruce Clark was left time and space to fire the only goal of the game after 30 minutes.
Ghosts defender Lee Hyde hit the bar in the second half as Fakenham searched in vain for an equaliser.