Rugby club's rallying call
Fakenham 13, UEA 53Fakenham Rugby Club has been suffering from injuries, resulting in all sides being under-strength, but allowing players to progress up through the teams.
Fakenham 13, UEA 53
Fakenham Rugby Club has been suffering from injuries, resulting in all sides being under-strength, but allowing players to progress up through the teams.
They need as many players as possible to train on Tuesdays to build a strong team as they tackle staying in Eastern Counties One.
Stalwart Peter Colley came out of retirement to captain a young side with high hopes.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham started strongly with great disruptive presence from the forwards resulting with Sayer scoring from a well-formed ruck, soon followed by Warren breaking through to steal a spilt ball at a UEA line-out.
He was unstoppable from five yards. Both conversions were missed.
- 1 Property labelled a 'carbuncle' served urgent works notice
- 2 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 3 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 4 World War One commemorative statue stolen
- 5 Application for eight new Fakenham homes is scrapped
- 6 Trio launch new bell tent venture with a twist
- 7 Hotel says bookings up a week on from Sunday Times nod
- 8 Vital Fakenham charity secures future and gets back to business
- 9 Fakenham's Salvation Army forms two new groups
- 10 950-home bid takes step forward after £7m developer contribution agreed
The UEA backs then capitalised on each Fakenham mistake, playing some expansive rugby to score wide on several occasions.
The second half saw a quick flurry of tries and conversions from the UEA, but Fakenham's young side upped their tackling game and started to make steady territorial ground, with strong running from Starman, only to be punished again for any mistakes.
Baine-Young made the most of a penalty chance. Second row Underwood made a 30-yard rampaging run, only to be cruelly brought back for a UEA infringement. Sayer was sin-binned in the last five minutes and the remaining 14 showed true heart.