Rugby club's rallying call
Fakenham 13, UEA 53Fakenham Rugby Club has been suffering from injuries, resulting in all sides being under-strength, but allowing players to progress up through the teams.
Fakenham 13, UEA 53
Fakenham Rugby Club has been suffering from injuries, resulting in all sides being under-strength, but allowing players to progress up through the teams.
They need as many players as possible to train on Tuesdays to build a strong team as they tackle staying in Eastern Counties One.
Stalwart Peter Colley came out of retirement to captain a young side with high hopes.
You may also want to watch:
Fakenham started strongly with great disruptive presence from the forwards resulting with Sayer scoring from a well-formed ruck, soon followed by Warren breaking through to steal a spilt ball at a UEA line-out.
He was unstoppable from five yards. Both conversions were missed.
- 1 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases
- 2 'It's a win/win' - Fakenham group to sell merchandise at The Larder
- 3 Pints, pups and haircuts - Dereham delight at April 12 reopening
- 4 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 5 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 6 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 7 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye
- 8 Who are candidates to be Norfolk's new police and crime commissioner?
- 9 Rare chance to visit famous walled gardens for only second time ever
- 10 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
The UEA backs then capitalised on each Fakenham mistake, playing some expansive rugby to score wide on several occasions.
The second half saw a quick flurry of tries and conversions from the UEA, but Fakenham's young side upped their tackling game and started to make steady territorial ground, with strong running from Starman, only to be punished again for any mistakes.
Baine-Young made the most of a penalty chance. Second row Underwood made a 30-yard rampaging run, only to be cruelly brought back for a UEA infringement. Sayer was sin-binned in the last five minutes and the remaining 14 showed true heart.