Rugby cup for Fakenham
FAKENHAM Rugby Club hosted a feast of rugby culminating in the annual Banham Cup final between the first team and Holt.In front of a huge crowd, nearly 150 of whom sat down to a four-course meal, the rugby proceedings opened with the Fakenham third team taking apart their young Holt counterparts.
FAKENHAM Rugby Club hosted a feast of rugby culminating in the annual Banham Cup final between the first team and Holt.
In front of a huge crowd, nearly 150 of whom sat down to a four-course meal, the rugby proceedings opened with the Fakenham third team taking apart their young Holt counterparts.
Fakenham romped away 55-5 winners with McLaren at scrum half organising fellow veterans Wheeler, Tait and Curtis in the back row, who between them scored seven tries. The game began with Fakenham's new chairman, Alan Young, lined up with his sons Jo and Tom in the Fakenham backs.
Crushed at third team level, Holt began with more determination in their seconds and delivered early crushing blows from which Fakenham seconds never recovered.
You may also want to watch:
The score of 47-7 represented the strength of Holt's superiority. However, the side is very young, and captain Justin Green is optimistic for next season.
So, one game each as the first teams took the field. Between equally matched sides, the score was 10-6 to Holt at half-time. Two Fakenham penalties by Baldock were cancelled out by a converted try from Holt.
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 4 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 5 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 6 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
- 7 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 8 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 9 Classic car and bike show cancelled due to Covid
- 10 Testing plea for visitors as holiday season heats up
The second half was fought ferociously, with Fakenham drawing away towards the end with two converted tries brilliantly taken by player of the year Mark Allen, which put Fakenham out of sight.
However, Holt fought hard for a lost cause and brought the score back to 26-22 in Fakenham's favour.