Rugby cup for Fakenham
FAKENHAM Rugby Club hosted a feast of rugby culminating in the annual Banham Cup final between the first team and Holt.In front of a huge crowd, nearly 150 of whom sat down to a four-course meal, the rugby proceedings opened with the Fakenham third team taking apart their young Holt counterparts.
FAKENHAM Rugby Club hosted a feast of rugby culminating in the annual Banham Cup final between the first team and Holt.
In front of a huge crowd, nearly 150 of whom sat down to a four-course meal, the rugby proceedings opened with the Fakenham third team taking apart their young Holt counterparts.
Fakenham romped away 55-5 winners with McLaren at scrum half organising fellow veterans Wheeler, Tait and Curtis in the back row, who between them scored seven tries. The game began with Fakenham's new chairman, Alan Young, lined up with his sons Jo and Tom in the Fakenham backs.
Crushed at third team level, Holt began with more determination in their seconds and delivered early crushing blows from which Fakenham seconds never recovered.
You may also want to watch:
The score of 47-7 represented the strength of Holt's superiority. However, the side is very young, and captain Justin Green is optimistic for next season.
So, one game each as the first teams took the field. Between equally matched sides, the score was 10-6 to Holt at half-time. Two Fakenham penalties by Baldock were cancelled out by a converted try from Holt.
- 1 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 2 'Absolutely fantastic' - Mid-Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 3 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 4 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 5 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 6 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 7 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 8 Women released under investigation after pub fight
- 9 Vandals smash planters two days after gallery reopens
- 10 Door-to-door salesman charged after 'aggression' complaints
The second half was fought ferociously, with Fakenham drawing away towards the end with two converted tries brilliantly taken by player of the year Mark Allen, which put Fakenham out of sight.
However, Holt fought hard for a lost cause and brought the score back to 26-22 in Fakenham's favour.