Rugby team leaves it late
Fakenham 8, Ely 5A last-minute penalty kick from Stuart Baldock secured the win at the end of a very hard-fought encounter.This win has finally given Fakenham some breathing space from the relegation dog-fight.
Fakenham 8, Ely 5
A last-minute penalty kick from Stuart Baldock secured the win at the end of a very hard-fought encounter.
This win has finally given Fakenham some breathing space from the relegation dog-fight.
Next they visit Wisbech for the final league game of the season knowing that their status is now secure for another season.
You may also want to watch:
Wisbech, however, have plenty to play for and will be looking for a much needed win to give them a chance of automatic promotion.
Ely arrived rooted to the bottom of the table, having failed to record a single point all season. However, on this peformance they have clearly improved considerably and must be looking to bounce back next season.
- 1 WATCH: Delighted Delia Smith leads Canaries fans in Emi Buendia sing song
- 2 'Absolutely fantastic' - Mid-Norfolk pubs enjoy first Saturday back
- 3 Campaigner 'more convinced than ever' about new light rail link
- 4 Rescue drama as kayaker spotted 'clinging to a buoy'
- 5 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 6 'That's when reality hit' - Footballer speaks about life changing weekend
- 7 'It's a dream' - Wedding shop opens up in Fakenham
- 8 Women released under investigation after pub fight
- 9 Vandals smash planters two days after gallery reopens
- 10 'Absolutely fantastic' - Wells welcomes back punters as lockdown eases
Ely took a deserved lead midway through the first half following a period of prolonged pressure.
Fakenham were soon level through a Shaun Dawson try.
With the breeze in their backs, Fakenham exerted good pressure in the second half, but the Ely defence held firm.
It looked as if they were finally going to achieve their first point of the season until the referee penalised an infringement, giving Baldock the opportunity to take all the points.
The fly-half made a difficult kick look easy as he slotted the ball between the sticks from wide out.
The season ends on Saturday, April 26 with the annual Banham Cup day featuring 1st (3pm), 2nd (1pm) and 3rd XV (11am) games against Holt.
This year there will also be an under-12 game between the clubs. The day also features a luncheon (1pm) with limited tickets available from Mark House.
The club's annual meeting takes place on Tuesday, April 22 at 7pm.
All members are encouraged to attend this important event which sees a review of the year, including the club accounts, and the election of the new management committee.