Super boost for junior bowlers
Fakenham supermarket Morrisons has donated �500 to the Fakenham Gallow indoor bowls club to help them encourage youngsters into the sport.Part of the money has been used to buy an annual trophy to recognise the achievements of the club's most promising young players.
Fakenham supermarket Morrisons has donated �500 to the Fakenham Gallow indoor bowls club to help them encourage youngsters into the sport.
Part of the money has been used to buy an annual trophy to recognise the achievements of the club's most promising young players. The first recipient was 11-year-old Jake Biggs who reached the regional finals of the English Bowls School of Excellence, playing against opponents up to 18.
The money also helped fund the bringing together of more than 20 promising young bowlers of both sexes aged between 11 to 16 from the Gallow, The Norfolk based in Norwich, and North Walsham BC in a series of friendly matches over two hours.
Gallow club coach Bryan Barnes said the event was one of a series held through out the county each year to enable young players to experience indoor rinks with different characteristics and to enable them to measure themselves against the current crop of promising youngsters from other clubs in Norfolk.
You may also want to watch:
Events such as this enabled them to gain experience of the pressures they will face in competition throughout their playing lives.
“I'm heartened by the enthusiasm that these youngsters have for our sport,” he said.
- 1 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines
- 2 'She was a fighter'- Tributes to music-loving Kelsey, 27
- 3 Rugby club left 'frustrated' after finding dog mess on their pitch
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
- 6 Electrical store helps school's computer appeal
- 7 Storm Christoph flood fears bring spike in sandbag sales
- 8 'Exceptional demand' as thousands in Norfolk seek coronavirus hardship fund help
- 9 Banksy-style doctor street art appears on shop front
- 10 'Stay indoors' warning amid flooding fears for Norfolk roads
Pictured are some of the players who took part in a friendly tournament at the Gallow IBC surrounding Jake Biggs as he is accepts the Gallow's new trophy from Bryan Barnes.