Super boost for junior bowlers
Fakenham supermarket Morrisons has donated �500 to the Fakenham Gallow indoor bowls club to help them encourage youngsters into the sport.Part of the money has been used to buy an annual trophy to recognise the achievements of the club's most promising young players.
Fakenham supermarket Morrisons has donated �500 to the Fakenham Gallow indoor bowls club to help them encourage youngsters into the sport.
Part of the money has been used to buy an annual trophy to recognise the achievements of the club's most promising young players. The first recipient was 11-year-old Jake Biggs who reached the regional finals of the English Bowls School of Excellence, playing against opponents up to 18.
The money also helped fund the bringing together of more than 20 promising young bowlers of both sexes aged between 11 to 16 from the Gallow, The Norfolk based in Norwich, and North Walsham BC in a series of friendly matches over two hours.
Gallow club coach Bryan Barnes said the event was one of a series held through out the county each year to enable young players to experience indoor rinks with different characteristics and to enable them to measure themselves against the current crop of promising youngsters from other clubs in Norfolk.
You may also want to watch:
Events such as this enabled them to gain experience of the pressures they will face in competition throughout their playing lives.
“I'm heartened by the enthusiasm that these youngsters have for our sport,” he said.
- 1 Historic pub seeking new licence despite neighbour concerns
- 2 Proposal could see eight new homes built in Fakenham
- 3 'We will not be deterred' - Allotment user building group following vandals
- 4 A real quacker! Town comes together for popular riverside day
- 5 Shed set alight, 16 broken into and pumpkins destroyed at allotments
- 6 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 7 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 8 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 9 Two fisherman saved from boat taking on water
- 10 'They ruined our lives': Noise complaints soar during lockdown
Pictured are some of the players who took part in a friendly tournament at the Gallow IBC surrounding Jake Biggs as he is accepts the Gallow's new trophy from Bryan Barnes.