Super boost for junior bowlers
Fakenham supermarket Morrisons has donated �500 to the Fakenham Gallow indoor bowls club to help them encourage youngsters into the sport.Part of the money has been used to buy an annual trophy to recognise the achievements of the club's most promising young players.
Fakenham supermarket Morrisons has donated �500 to the Fakenham Gallow indoor bowls club to help them encourage youngsters into the sport.
Part of the money has been used to buy an annual trophy to recognise the achievements of the club's most promising young players. The first recipient was 11-year-old Jake Biggs who reached the regional finals of the English Bowls School of Excellence, playing against opponents up to 18.
The money also helped fund the bringing together of more than 20 promising young bowlers of both sexes aged between 11 to 16 from the Gallow, The Norfolk based in Norwich, and North Walsham BC in a series of friendly matches over two hours.
Gallow club coach Bryan Barnes said the event was one of a series held through out the county each year to enable young players to experience indoor rinks with different characteristics and to enable them to measure themselves against the current crop of promising youngsters from other clubs in Norfolk.
You may also want to watch:
Events such as this enabled them to gain experience of the pressures they will face in competition throughout their playing lives.
“I'm heartened by the enthusiasm that these youngsters have for our sport,” he said.
- 1 Plans for market town homes back on the table
- 2 Holiday lets look forwards to seeing 'happy faces' as lockdown eases
- 3 'Ready to go' - Department store raring to reopen after 109-day wait
- 4 Town centre gets 'spring clean' ahead of high street re-opening
- 5 'Raring to go' - Barbers prepare for reopening
- 6 Tribute to loving and kind war veteran who opened school in Norfolk
- 7 Man sells bar after 19 years - but can't say goodbye
- 8 Covid drive-through testing centre opens in town car park
- 9 Why will secondary pupils still have to wear face masks after Easter?
- 10 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
Pictured are some of the players who took part in a friendly tournament at the Gallow IBC surrounding Jake Biggs as he is accepts the Gallow's new trophy from Bryan Barnes.