New Fakenham Town boss Cunningham loses his first match in charge

Fakenham Town's new manager Andy Cunningham looks on as the Ghosts head for a 2-0 defeat in his firs

Fakenham Town's new manager Andy Cunningham looks on as the Ghosts head for a 2-0 defeat in his first game in charge. Picture: Ronnie Heyhoe - Credit: Archant

Not taking chances proved to be Fakenham Town’s downfall in Andy Cunningham’s first game in charge on Saturday as they suffered a 2-0 defeat to Histon at Clipbush Park.

The Ghosts produced more than enough openings to take a share of the spoils from their final game of 2017 but couldn’t turn their much improved performance in vital points.

Cunningham, who was pleased with how Fakenham adapted to a more positive style of play he is trying to implement, reckoned the result would have been different had the Ghosts struck first.

“If we had taken our chances and got the first goal then I think the game would have been completely different,” he said.

“We had a couple of really good chances but didn’t take them and ultimately the difference today was they took their chances and we didn’t.

“If we would have put one of those chances away at 0-0 our tails would have been up, the confidence would have come back and it would have given us something to build on.

“When you miss a chance and they go up the other end and score a scrappy goal, that’s football at times, but there were big improvements today and we know we need to take our chances when they come.”

Most Read

Fakenham started brightly and Ross Brewster was only denied by a diving Sam Roach save after 13 minutes.

The Ghosts looked far more organised and less direct as they adapted to Cunningham’s style but, despite good chances falling to Kyle Plumb and Jordan Cantwell, couldn’t find a way through before the break.

The hosts picked up where they left off after half-time but were dealt a blow when Histon turned the tables just past the hour mark.

Luke Pearson spilled Ed Ralph’s powerful shot from close range and couldn’t prevent the ball trickling over the goal line to give the Stutes the lead against the run of play.

Fakenham didn’t crumble and battled hard for a way back into the game but lacked quality in the final third and nine minutes from time Histon secured the points as Rolph bagged his brace, again from close range.

The defeat left Fakenham third from bottom in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division standings, one point above Ipswich Wanderers with four games in hand, ahead of Saturday’s trip to Haverhill Rovers.