Plumb’s double seals first win for new Fakenham Town boss Cunningham

Fakenham striker Kyle Plumb scored twice as the Ghosts came away from Haverhill Rovers with all thre

Fakenham striker Kyle Plumb scored twice as the Ghosts came away from Haverhill Rovers with all three points. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Archant

Fakenham Town claimed their first win under new boss Andy Cunningham on Saturday.

After showing plenty of promise in his opening match the previous weekend before going down 2-0 at home to Histon, the Ghosts claimed an excellent 2-1 victory at Haverhill Rovers.

The victory lifted Fakenham four points clear of second from bottom Ipswich Wanderers with four games in hand ahead of Saturday’s testing trip to third placed Stowmarket.

Kyle Plumb opened the scoring for the Fakenham early on but the away side were pegged back after the break when Haverhill equalised.

However, Plumb grabbed his second of the afternoon with a calm finish to take all three points.

Fakenham also have a game at Gorleston on Tuesday evening (7.45pm). The Ghosts won the original fixture 1-0 but were ordered to replay it after it emerged they had fielded an ineligible player.

Craig Rutland’s Fakenham Town Reserves side secured a 2-0 victory over Sprowston Athletic, thanks to a brace from Joseph Harrison.

Most Read

The victory strengths the side’s push for promotion to senior football, with the Reserves now second in the Anglian Combination Division Two table, ten points behind leaders Easton but with two games in hand.

Fakenham Ladies came within a whisker of stunning last season’s champions and League Cup finalists Thorpe United.

The Ghosts started brightly but a combination of good goalkeeping and wayward shooting meant the score stayed level. They were eventually rewarded for their persistence midway through the first half when Rochy Woods hit a speculative shot from 25 yards which dipped just under the crossbar.

The Ghosts started the second half brightly but as it wore on were increasingly pinned back in their own half. The equaliser came midway through the half when a Thorpe striker evaded the defence and shot past Taylor. Thorpe added a second not long after from a similar move.

When a third was scored many began to write off the visitors but they never gave up and when a second goal was scored by captain King after excellent work down the left it gave them a glimmer of hope, but it was too little, too late.

The ladies welcome Wymondham on Sunday in the quarter-finals of the Norfolk Women’s Cup (1.30pm).