Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division becomes the only focus for Fakenham Town

Sam Garner lobs the Long Melford keeper to score in Fakenham Town's weekend win. Picture: TONY MILES

Sam Garner lobs the Long Melford keeper to score in Fakenham Town's weekend win. Picture: TONY MILES - Credit: Archant

Fakenham Town’s Norfolk Senior Cup fourth round match at Gorleston finally got the go-ahead.

Twice previously the Emerald Park tie had been postponed due to an unplayable pitch, but hard work from the Gorleston ground staff, and after an afternoon inspection – it was all systems go on Tuesday. It was the hosts that scored first after 15 minutes, a lead which was short lived as Kyle Plumb levelled things up just minutes later. Fakenham however conceded again later in the half to go in at the break trailing 2-1.

A lifeline for the Ghosts came in the 75th minute, as Gorleston were reduced to 10 men as a penalty was awarded to Fakenham. Plumb however fired over from the spot.

Fakenham did level again in the 87th minute, having hit the bar twice in the build-up, through Lee Day but the joy only lasted two minutes as a Keegan Middleton free-kick found the corner and Gorleston made it 3-2. Ultimately that was the final score, and the Ghosts now have just the league to concentrate on.

On Saturday, Fakenham moved off the bottom of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division table with a 3-1 win at home to Long Melford and having lost against their opponents at the end of October, the Ghosts had been hoping to settle a score.

With a very strong wind behind them in the first half, it was hardly surprising that the conditions were to Fakenham’s advantage. It took just seven minutes for the hosts to take the lead, when a Sam Garner shot completely deceived the visiting keeper to drop over him and into the back of the net. Ten minutes later it was Matty Dye’s turn to celebrate as his corner curled straight in, again with the help of the wind.

Into the second half, and although Fakenham were kicking into the wind they seemed completely unfazed by it – as again it was Melford who struggled to cope with the conditions. An unexplained moment of madness from the Melford keeper gifted the ball to Plumb in his penalty box and the striker did the rest. The visitors got what turned out to be just a consolation goal.

Most Read

Fakenham return to action on Saturday in a crunch away fixture against the only side below them, Whitton United.

The reserves drew 2-2 at South Walsham, with Ricky Claxton and Aaron Myhill scoring the goals. Watton United come to Clipbush Park on Saturday (2pm).

The Under-18s, who lost 4-2 at Sheringham last week, play host to Swaffham on Monday in the Thurlow Nunn Youth League (7.45pm).

Fakenham’s ladies drew 2-2 at home on Sunday against Mulbarton Belles, Sian Sands with a brace for the Ghosts. Their next fixture is at Thorpe United on Sunday (2pm).