Tide turning at Clipbush Park

UPBEAT Fakenham Town, with only one narrow defeat and three draws from their last four games, have a Saturday derby at Thetford followed by a Tuesday night game at Gorleston.

UPBEAT Fakenham Town, with only one narrow defeat and three draws from their last four games, have a Saturday derby at Thetford followed by a Tuesday night game at Gorleston.

Despite being denied their second league win of the season on Monday night in the final minute, manager Wayne Anderson was in buoyant mood the next morning.

“There is now a lot of confidence and banter in the dressing room, which makes a big difference. The local lads are now telling me they are enjoying their football and the Lynn lads say we are full of confidence,” he said.

Long Melford 2, Fakenham Town 2

You may also want to watch:

The Ghosts cruelly conceded the equaliser in the final minute of Monday night's Ridgeons One basement battle.

Looking travel-weary they were sloppy in the opening stages and fell behind when Jason Pease, trying to clear the ball over his bar, found the top corner of his own net. Fakenham rallied with Julian Delicata and Daniel Foulsham whipping balls across the Melford area which went begging for a touch, then Jake Betts began causing the home side problems.

Most Read

The Ghosts responded to Wayne Anderson's half-time talk by quickly getting back on terms, Delicata heading home a corner.

Foulsham's header hit a post after an Anderson cross then Stephen Harvey's volley struck a hand and Delicata put the Ghosts ahead from the penalty spot.

But from a last-gasp free-kick Long Melford conjured the chance of the equaliser with Fakenham vainly appealing for offside.

“It was cruel luck but we are slowly getting there,” said Anderson. “You can't build houses in a week. We learn from mistakes and correct them the next game.”

Fakenham Town 0, Brantham Athletic 1

One lax piece of defending cost the Ghosts Saturday's game against the side second in the Ridgeons First Division. And the Ghosts were unlucky not to score three or four goals as they continued to show signs of recovery.

Acting chairman Geoff Saunders' programme comment was shown to be correct: “The side is beginning to fear nobody, and justifiably so.

“The team is really starting to perform, with the combination of experience and excellent young local talent beginning to shine.”

Home supporters saw new forward Foulsham, signed from manager Anderson's former club Downham, in action. He had an early looping shot claimed by the keeper. Right winger Darryl Rose hit a risng drive across goal then the keeper was quick to race out to block a Delicata effort. Low-key Brantham forced home keeper Tom Rix to dive bravely at a forward's feet, the follow-up being headed off the line by Matty Gilchrist.

Just before half-time skipper Harvey swerved a shot just wide of the Brantham goal and Foulsham's header was tipped over the bar.

The second half saw more Fakenham promise, a Lee Hyde header going over the bar before the Ghosts made the key mistake of the game. Ollie Mann was allowed room to carry the ball down the left channel and cut inside to fire across a helpless Rix in the 65th minute.

Hyde had Brantham scrambling to clear another good header. There was certainly not the length of the division between the sides.

Fakenham: Rix, Anderson, Pease, Hyde, Gilchrist, Harvey, Rose, Bamford, Foulsham, Delicata (Alamonis 85), Betts (Penty 75). Att: 50.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter