Wells battle to victory
Wells Town 2, Corton 1
TABLE-TOPPERS the Seasiders secured another three points but had to battle against a spirited Corton side who looked better than their lowly league position suggests.
The Anglian Combination Division One match started with Wells going close several times. A low drive from East found Sutherland-Gray after 20 minutes and he gave Denning no chance with a well-placed shot.
Immediately at the other end Corton should have equalised, but when clean through a mix-up between the visiting forwards gave the Wells defence the chance to clear.
Sutherland-Gray saw a reflex shot come back off an upright and another good effort go inches wide. Molyneux was brought into action again with a one-handed save as the visitors broke.
You may also want to watch:
There was a clash of heads between Frary and Franks as they cleared an attack at the expense of a corner. From the flag-kick, dangerman High out-jumped the home defence and powered his header past Molyneux to equalise.
The Seasiders bossed the second period but created few chances until the 70th minute when Frary collected a good ball from Grocott and slotted home.
- 1 Flooding concerns over plans for 12 village homes
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 'We'll miss it' - Rector leaves town's church after six years
- 4 Retired landlady died at home after asbestos exposure, inquest hears
- 5 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 6 Renowned violinist to play at Nelson's village church
- 7 Ever fancied 'forest bathing'? How being close to nature can ease stress
- 8 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 9 A love letter to Norfolk - Poem written more than 50 years ago discovered in book
- 10 Heavy rain and thunder set to continue with weather warnings in place
Then solid defending by Cooper, Franks and Frary withstood increasing pressure.
Wells Town travel to Caister on Saturday (kick-off 2.30pm). Wells Reserves host Brandon Reserves at Beach Road (kick-off 2.30pm).