Wells battle to victory
Wells Town 2, Corton 1
TABLE-TOPPERS the Seasiders secured another three points but had to battle against a spirited Corton side who looked better than their lowly league position suggests.
The Anglian Combination Division One match started with Wells going close several times. A low drive from East found Sutherland-Gray after 20 minutes and he gave Denning no chance with a well-placed shot.
Immediately at the other end Corton should have equalised, but when clean through a mix-up between the visiting forwards gave the Wells defence the chance to clear.
Sutherland-Gray saw a reflex shot come back off an upright and another good effort go inches wide. Molyneux was brought into action again with a one-handed save as the visitors broke.
You may also want to watch:
There was a clash of heads between Frary and Franks as they cleared an attack at the expense of a corner. From the flag-kick, dangerman High out-jumped the home defence and powered his header past Molyneux to equalise.
The Seasiders bossed the second period but created few chances until the 70th minute when Frary collected a good ball from Grocott and slotted home.
- 1 Covid outbreak factory's safety message to customers
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 5 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 6 Banksy-style doctor street art appears on shop front
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 9 Optician's lockdown eyesight health plea
- 10 'Sickened' car dealer watches thieves on CCTV
Then solid defending by Cooper, Franks and Frary withstood increasing pressure.
Wells Town travel to Caister on Saturday (kick-off 2.30pm). Wells Reserves host Brandon Reserves at Beach Road (kick-off 2.30pm).