Wells battle to victory
Wells Town 2, Corton 1
TABLE-TOPPERS the Seasiders secured another three points but had to battle against a spirited Corton side who looked better than their lowly league position suggests.
The Anglian Combination Division One match started with Wells going close several times. A low drive from East found Sutherland-Gray after 20 minutes and he gave Denning no chance with a well-placed shot.
Immediately at the other end Corton should have equalised, but when clean through a mix-up between the visiting forwards gave the Wells defence the chance to clear.
Sutherland-Gray saw a reflex shot come back off an upright and another good effort go inches wide. Molyneux was brought into action again with a one-handed save as the visitors broke.
You may also want to watch:
There was a clash of heads between Frary and Franks as they cleared an attack at the expense of a corner. From the flag-kick, dangerman High out-jumped the home defence and powered his header past Molyneux to equalise.
The Seasiders bossed the second period but created few chances until the 70th minute when Frary collected a good ball from Grocott and slotted home.
- 1 Thursford pumpkin house opens for its fourth year
- 2 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 3 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 4 Your say: What is your favourite TV show ever?
- 5 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 6 RNLI to add 5,000 more names to new lifeboat
- 7 Property spotlight: See inside this barn conversion for sale for £1.6m
- 8 Vineyard's £250,000 new winery presses its first grapes
- 9 Hotel says bookings up a week on from Sunday Times nod
- 10 Property labelled a 'carbuncle' served urgent works notice
Then solid defending by Cooper, Franks and Frary withstood increasing pressure.
Wells Town travel to Caister on Saturday (kick-off 2.30pm). Wells Reserves host Brandon Reserves at Beach Road (kick-off 2.30pm).