Wells face vital title match
Wells Town, six points clear at the top of Anglian Combination Division One, face a crunch Saturday visit to Wymondham Town, who are in second place.
The Seasiders have 46 points from 16 games to Wymondham’s 40 from 17.
Their nearest challengers are Long Stratton with 32 points from 19 matches. The game at Wymondham kicks off at 2pm.
Wells Town 3, Sprowston Athletic 2
THE Seasiders were made to battle for the three points after gaining a three-goal lead before the interval.
The first goal arrived in under two minutes. A Grocott header found Southerland Gray, who turned and volleyed home past Still in the visitors’ goal.
After only 15 minutes Wells added a second when Sutherland Gray became the provider for Harrison to slot home at the near post. McCallum added a third with a low drive on 30 minutes. It was the Seasiders’ 50th league goal of the season.
- 1 Motorcyclist in his 60s dies after crash in west Norfolk
- 2 New art gallery set to open in market town
- 3 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 4 Two Norfolk seaside hotels named among the best in Britain
- 5 PICTURES: The best-dressed punters at Fakenham Ladies Day
- 6 Plant Lovers' Day set to return at Creake Abbey
- 7 Hundreds of motors park up for classic vehicle day at Norfolk gardens
- 8 The Female Fisherman 'overwhelmed' by national award win
- 9 'It feels normal again' - why it's so glorious to be back at the races
- 10 9 of the best campsites on the Norfolk coast
The second period started with Athletic having the advantage of the gusting wind, and in the 55th minute Brighton reduced the arrears from close range.
Wells’ defence worked hard to contain an attacking Athletic side. but former Fakenham Town player Drake further reduced the arrears on 75 minutes when he struck a 45-yard shot from the halfway line that flew into the top corner.
Town had to battle hard to secure the points as Athletic tried to level the match, but the defence held on until the final whistle.
Wells have yet to lose a league game, having won 15 and drawn one with the season now into its second half.