Wells return to top flight
Long Stratton 1, Wells Town 4
THE Seasiders travelled to face Long Stratton knowing a single point would see them back into the Anglian Combination Premier Division after a six-year spell in Division One.
With promotion assured, the championship is now the aim with Wells nine points ahead of Wymondham with a game in hand and eight matches to play.
Saturday was the third meeting of the sides this season, with the Seasiders holding the upper hand in the cup and league matches played.
After only 10 minutes Sutherland-Gray forced his way past his marker and laid off a great ball to his fellow striker Grocott, who calmly wrong-footed the keeper, giving the visitors the edge.
You may also want to watch:
Stratton battled hard and had spells of pressure, but good defending kept the score at 1-0 going into the interval, although Wells should have increased their advantage.
The next goal was crucial. Grocott, on 75 minutes, collected another good through-ball and chipped the advancing keeper to put Wells in the driving seat.
- 1 Thursford pumpkin house opens for its fourth year
- 2 Why were barriers blocking these town centre benches?
- 3 Your say: What is your favourite TV show ever?
- 4 Former sixth form land could be divided up and sold
- 5 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 6 RNLI to add 5,000 more names to new lifeboat
- 7 Vineyard's £250,000 new winery presses its first grapes
- 8 Property spotlight: See inside this barn conversion for sale for £1.6m
- 9 Hotel says bookings up a week on from Sunday Times nod
- 10 Property labelled a 'carbuncle' served urgent works notice
They pushed forward and Sutherland-Gray found the net on 80 minutes, Wells then allowed Stratton to reduce the arrears when a loose ball was not cleared and Sulley pounced to slot home.
Straight from the re-start Wells surged forward and a pin-point cross from Campbell found Sutherland-Gray, who turned and volleyed home past a stranded Sizeland.
Wells Town’s next fixture is on April 9, away to Horsford United, 2.30pm.