Wells return to top flight
Long Stratton 1, Wells Town 4
THE Seasiders travelled to face Long Stratton knowing a single point would see them back into the Anglian Combination Premier Division after a six-year spell in Division One.
With promotion assured, the championship is now the aim with Wells nine points ahead of Wymondham with a game in hand and eight matches to play.
Saturday was the third meeting of the sides this season, with the Seasiders holding the upper hand in the cup and league matches played.
After only 10 minutes Sutherland-Gray forced his way past his marker and laid off a great ball to his fellow striker Grocott, who calmly wrong-footed the keeper, giving the visitors the edge.
You may also want to watch:
Stratton battled hard and had spells of pressure, but good defending kept the score at 1-0 going into the interval, although Wells should have increased their advantage.
The next goal was crucial. Grocott, on 75 minutes, collected another good through-ball and chipped the advancing keeper to put Wells in the driving seat.
- 1 Flooding concerns over plans for 12 village homes
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 'We'll miss it' - Rector leaves town's church after six years
- 4 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 5 Retired landlady died at home after asbestos exposure, inquest hears
- 6 Renowned violinist to play at Nelson's village church
- 7 Ever fancied 'forest bathing'? How being close to nature can ease stress
- 8 Your say - Covid passports, good or bad idea?
- 9 A love letter to Norfolk - Poem written more than 50 years ago discovered in book
- 10 Air ambulance to fly with 'vital' life saving blood every mission
They pushed forward and Sutherland-Gray found the net on 80 minutes, Wells then allowed Stratton to reduce the arrears when a loose ball was not cleared and Sulley pounced to slot home.
Straight from the re-start Wells surged forward and a pin-point cross from Campbell found Sutherland-Gray, who turned and volleyed home past a stranded Sizeland.
Wells Town’s next fixture is on April 9, away to Horsford United, 2.30pm.