Wells return to top flight
Long Stratton 1, Wells Town 4
THE Seasiders travelled to face Long Stratton knowing a single point would see them back into the Anglian Combination Premier Division after a six-year spell in Division One.
With promotion assured, the championship is now the aim with Wells nine points ahead of Wymondham with a game in hand and eight matches to play.
Saturday was the third meeting of the sides this season, with the Seasiders holding the upper hand in the cup and league matches played.
After only 10 minutes Sutherland-Gray forced his way past his marker and laid off a great ball to his fellow striker Grocott, who calmly wrong-footed the keeper, giving the visitors the edge.
You may also want to watch:
Stratton battled hard and had spells of pressure, but good defending kept the score at 1-0 going into the interval, although Wells should have increased their advantage.
The next goal was crucial. Grocott, on 75 minutes, collected another good through-ball and chipped the advancing keeper to put Wells in the driving seat.
- 1 Covid outbreak factory's safety message to customers
- 2 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 3 A148 shut for 'most of morning' after serious crash
- 4 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 5 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 6 Banksy-style doctor street art appears on shop front
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Optician's lockdown eyesight health plea
- 9 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 10 'Sickened' car dealer watches thieves on CCTV
They pushed forward and Sutherland-Gray found the net on 80 minutes, Wells then allowed Stratton to reduce the arrears when a loose ball was not cleared and Sulley pounced to slot home.
Straight from the re-start Wells surged forward and a pin-point cross from Campbell found Sutherland-Gray, who turned and volleyed home past a stranded Sizeland.
Wells Town’s next fixture is on April 9, away to Horsford United, 2.30pm.