Wells slump after double red card woe
Beccles Town 4, Wells Town 0
Wells Town travelled to Beccles in the Anglian Combination Premier Division with key players missing again.
Both sides created very little goalmouth action in the first period, before Wells started to create chances and pushed forward in search of a breakthrough.
However, in first half injury-time Beccles broke and scored to go in at half-time with a one-goal advantage.
The second half started with Wells looking to reduce the arrears, but the visitors were stunned when the referee sent Wick off for denying a goalscoring opportunity when Molyneux already had the ball safely in his hands.
East was then dismissed for his second yellow, and this allowed Beccles to add three further goals with no reply.
Wells Town travel along the coast to Sheringham on Saturday, 2.30pm kick-off.
- 1 Main road through seaside town to close for five weeks
- 2 Obituary: Farm merchant who helped save revered brewing barley dies aged 81
- 3 Nurse relives crash drama as calls for road to be gritted grow
- 4 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 5 Fakenham firms keen to protect customers as rate of inflation soars
- 6 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 7 New special school opens doors to first students
- 8 The Floods of 1953 in Norfolk: Remembering the heroes who helped
- 9 Fakenham 2022 - What to expect for housing, retail, tourism and hospitality
- 10 30-year-old to take over as district council leader
n In their previous match, Wells were 2-0 winners at Stalham in the Mummery Cup.
Wells had the better of early play and a Cawston free-kick found Wick who gave Nicholls no chance with a neat turn and tap in.
Stalham had the advantage of a strong wind in the second half and only poor finishing prevented them from scoring.
In the 50th minute the match was killed off as a contest when a good through ball from Barzey found Wick who added his second with a curling volley past Nicholls.
Wells have been drawn at home to Blofield United in the quarter-finals.
n Wells Reserves suffered a 5-1 defeat at home to Norwich CEYMS Reserves in Division Five on Saturday with CEYMS out playing them for most of the match.
Wells’ goal came from Smith. Wells Reserves host Spixworth Reserves on Saturday, 2pm kick off.
n Wells Town Reserves beat Reepham Town Reserves 2-1 in the CS Morley Cup with goals from J Vertigan and J Williamson.
Wells travel to Wymondham Reserves in the next round.