Wells Town maintain promotion push with impressive away win
- Credit: Archant
Wells Town stayed in the thick of a thrilling promotion race in Anglian Combination Division Two when they came away from Acle United Reserves with an excellent 4-1 victory.
Matt Pooley and Ross Brewster both scored twice on Saturday as Wells kept the pressure on the sides around them - and there are plenty of those.
The Seasiders are currently six points behind second placed Watton in fourth place, but with three games in hand, while UEA and East Harling will also fancy their chances of chasing down the top two.
Hoveton Wherrymen lead the way on 54 points, eight ahead of Wells having played one more game.
The Seasiders travelled to Bridewell Lane to face an improving Acle side and the match started brightly for the visitors and after only five minutes Matt Pooley found the net with a neat finish across the home keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Wells pushed forward and the neat pass and move play was stretching the home side as they were being pulled all over the park.
Pooley got his and Wells’ second with a carbon copy of the first goal before Acle reduced the arrears in controversial circumstances.
- 1 'It is damaging' - Business frustrated as vehicles block shop front
- 2 Fakenham park dubbed 'drugstore' as fears raised over anti-social behaviour
- 3 New affordable homes in Fakenham for the elderly ahead of schedule
- 4 See inside the boutique hotel with spa centre reserved for guests
- 5 Daughter's tragic death from rare illness sparks dad's fundraiser
- 6 Rubbish dating back 40 years found in Fakenham litter pick
- 7 Concern as Covid test centre takes spaces away from shoppers
- 8 'Proud as punch' - Sports centre delighted with renovations
- 9 History made as heritage railway gets ready to reopen
- 10 Norwich City promotion celebrated with new batch of £100 glass canaries
A Wells defender appeared to be pushed off the ball in the home box but play was allowed to continue, allowing the striker to score.
Wells pushed forward and the hosts had to clear the ball off the line twice as the visitors looked to increase their advantage.
Before the interval the hosts won a penalty but Mark Bidewell saved the spot-kick, keeping the score at 1-2.
The visitors went further ahead when Brewster scored from the penalty spot late in the second period, Ben Scott blasted over when well placed to have hit the back of the net and Aaron Moss also had a chance to get on the scoresheet.
But those misses didn’t affect the outcome and Brewster added goal number four when he rounded the keeper to slot home.
Wells Town travel to Martham on Saturday (2.30pm). It will be another tough game for the Seasiders with their hosts standing eighth in the table, just five points below them.
Wells Reserves, who lost 4-1 at Easton Reserves, travel to Hindringham Reserves on Saturday (2.30pm).