Wells Town narrowly miss out on doing the double over Poringland

Wells have secured four points over Poringland Wanderers during the past week. Picture: ARCHANT

Wells have secured four points over Poringland Wanderers during the past week. Picture: ARCHANT - Credit: Archant

Wells played host to Poringland Wanderers on Wednesday night in what can only be described as horrendous conditions at Beach Road where they won 2-0.

The match started brightly with both sides testing each other out as both keepers looked in control. Twenty minutes into the contest the heavens opened making the already sticky surface very difficult.

Daren Armiger made two very good saves as the visitors broke, to keep the score goalless at the interval.

The match official had spoke to both team captains at the break to warn that an early stoppage might happen as the pitch was holding water. After 80 minutes a back pass to the visiting keeper left him struggling to clear. As the ball skidded over his boot it allowed Matt Pooley to tap home. Straight from the restart Ross Brewster collected the ball and headed straight for goal finishing off his move with the ball going in at the near post to give the home side three massive points to take them top of the league with games in hand.

On Saturday it was the re-match as the Seasiders travelled for the return on a pitch that was not as sticky as midweek but stopped any real passing football due to large divots all over the surface.

The home side scored after the visitors failed to clear a loose ball, allowing a shot from distance that eluded the Wells keeper after 20 minutes. Straight from the restart Brewster powered home a header from a pin-point cross to level at the interval at 1-1.

After 75 minutes a Brewster penalty put Wells in the driving seat.

Most Read

With Darren Armiger a spectator in the visiting goal and the defence of Colin Frary, Ash Hewitt and Adam Dagless in control, a win was on the cards. From a free kick the ball looked to be going wide only to take a wicked deflection past the keeper to leave the scores level at 2-2.

Wells travel to Mattishall Reserves this Saturday, 2.30pm.

Wells Reserves played host to Martham on Saturday and did enough to take all three points. But poor finishing and going a goal down left them having to battle for a point. A Jack Castlo power drive from distance saved the day and secured a point for the team.

Wells Reserves host UEA at Beach Road at 2.30pm on Saturday.