Wells Town put poor run behind them to end season in style
- Credit: Archant
After a disappointing run which saw them drop out of contention for promotion, Wells Town rounded off their Anglian Combination Division Two campaign with a 3-0 win at Hempnall.
The hosts needed to pick up maximum points from the contest to give themselves a fighting chance to stay in the division but Wells were in no mood to give them an easy ride and sealed the win with three late goals.
The visitors found themselves pinned back on several occasions as the hosts started to create chances, only to see the Hempnall defence clearing these to safety.
The score at the interval was 0-0, with the visitors missing a couple of chances to go ahead.
Wells had the wind behind them in the second period and Hempnall were being pushed back to defend the ball. Chances came and went and with only 10 minutes left a draw looked on the cards.
Matt Pooley and Ross Brewster then came off the bench to give the strikeforce a lift and within minutes Lloyd Briggs found the net and two quick attacks allowed Luke Goss a brace.
The win ensured Wells finished the season in seventh place.
- 1 Plans submitted to transform soft play area to restaurant
- 2 Fancy dress runners brave elements for Pensthorpe festive 5K
- 3 Your Say: What do Fakenham people think of Norwich Street 'carbuncle'?
- 4 Hundreds gather for return of Wells Christmas Tide Festival
- 5 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 6 Sports centre hopes to unite members old and new for 50th anniversary
- 7 Parts of Norfolk could see 60mph winds as Storm Barra hits
- 8 How this north Norfolk cargo ship evaded the Nazis
- 9 'Horrendous' - Norfolk couple stuck in South Africa as Omicron spreads
- 10 Strong winds to continue as police issue flooding and debris warning