Williamson scores five tries as Fakenham see off West in fine style
- Credit: Archant
After a week’s layoff, Fakenham entertained West Norfolk 2nds at the weekend in EC2 North and ran away with an impressive 64-17 success.
Fakenham started the stronger when Ian Williamson crossed the line to score in the opening minutes with the extra points added by Tom Bane-Young.
West Norfolk responded quickly after Fakenham were penalised three times in a row, allowing the visitors to press forward and score an unconverted try.
Fakenham dominance soon re-asserted though and a great backs handling move produced a superb try for George Ready, again converted by Bane-Young. Fakenham were soon on the attack again and a deft chip and re-gather by Bane-Young allowed him to draw the last defender in and feed Williamson a simple pass to score his second try, gain converted to take the score to 19-5.
Williamson, at that point, seemed to decide it was going to be his day as he scored his third try of the half which was again converted by Bane-Young to take the score to 26-5 and secure the four-try bonus point.
After another good series of phases Howard Kellick scored a try and Bane-Young was accurate with the kick to move the score to 33-5 at half time.
Fakenham started the second half as they had finished the first. After a great break by Luke Taylor, a well-timed off-load to joint man of the match Ashley Stewart allowed him to score but the kick was missed.
- 1 Appeal to transform Second World War camp into holiday lets is dismissed
- 2 How former teacher's love for the high street inspired shop opening
- 3 Crash between car and van blocks part of the A1065
- 4 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 'Horrendous' - Norfolk couple stuck in South Africa as Omicron spreads
- 6 How this north Norfolk cargo ship evaded the Nazis
- 7 How town's new lifeboat station will also help protect wildlife
- 8 Fakenham pub saves the day after town's switch on cancelled
- 9 Norfolk MP celebrates success of two young entrepreneurs
- 10 Tree planted in honour of vaccine volunteers
West Norfolk got themselves together and forced their way back into the game with a try and a conversion for 38-12 but the remainder off the half saw Fakenham score four more tries, one to Lloyd Marshall, joint man of the match Williamson added two to take his game tally to five and Bane-Young scored Fakenham’s last try with Marshall adding three conversions.
West Norfolk then added a third try.
The Fakenham forwards played well throughout and controlled the scrummage and together with the backs defended against the majority of the West Norfolk attack.
This weekend Fakenham travel to North Walsham 2nds for the penultimate league game of the season and a win would set up a grandstand finish against Diss 2nds.