Young Ghosts so close to first point

Team Bury 1, Fakenham Town 0Team Bury, league newcomers, are used to the tag of a 'youthful side' with the majority of their players taken from the College of West Suffolk U19 Academy side.

Team Bury 1, Fakenham Town 0

Team Bury, league newcomers, are used to the tag of a 'youthful side' with the majority of their players taken from the College of West Suffolk U19 Academy side. But Fakenham matched them with five of their current U18 side in the squad.

Dan Savory was drafted into the back four in place of Nick Tagg, with Jason Day taking up his normal midfield role. Mark Critten was named as sub in his return from injury, writes Paul Wright.

On a greasy surface Bury were by far the brighter in the opening 10 minutes, pinning the Ghosts back into their own half with a succession of attacks that brought two fine reaction saves from Sean Cooper.

Fakenham began to take advantage of the space afforded them in midfield and looked the more likely side to score, however it took them until the 20th minute to test home keeper Greygoose. Bamford's free-kick from the edge of the area was tipped over. Then Jake Betts ran down the left but his hooked cross evaded West at the far post. Another edge of the area free-kick was rattled against the defensive wall by Day.

The second half was more open with both sides squandering chances in quick succession. Fakenham's best chances came via a Matt Jensch header straight at the keeper from a corner and Mark Betts' low angled shot was turned round the post by Greygoose.

Most Read

The deciding goal of the game came in the 65th minute when the Fakenham defence, who had looked assured all afternoon, struggled to clear. An attempted clearance ricocheted off another defender into the path of Andrew Nugent who beat Cooper at the near post with a low, angled shot.

Fakenham brought on youngster Ed Skinner in place of Bamford to inject more pace, Critten came on for David West and Toby Harris replaced Kevin Whittred. But as is the story of the Ghosts' season so far, time and luck ran out.

Although this defeat leaves the Ghosts still without a league point, the spirit is still high in the camp although the players were dejected at the final whistle, as everyone in the ground thought they were well worth a share of the spoils.

Fakenham Reserves entertained Hempnall Reserves and started well playing some flowing football. They were rewarded when Delicata produced a cool finish to put them ahead.

Midway through the half French, playing his first game of the season, headed in from a corner. Fakenham were well in control.

Delicata spotted the keeper off of his line but his lob from distance bounced up onto the bar. In the dying seconds of the first half Hempnall pulled a goal back against the run of play.

The second half was a total reverse as Fakenham struggled. Hempnall levelled the game and Fakenham were were lucky not to concede possibly two penalties after some desperate defending. Hempnall took the lead as Fakenham failed to clear their lines and put the game beyond the reach of the Ghosts with a late goal late on to make it 4-2.

Fakenham Town Football Club thank Dempsey Heating who have supplied the senior team managers and coaches with new track suits and all-weather tops.

The continued generous support from Dempsey Heating is very much appreciated.