Norfolk beach named as one of Britain's best picnic spots
- Credit: Neal Trafankowski
A north Norfolk beach known for its panoramic views and expansive beach has been named as one of Britain's best picnic spots.
The beach is the only location in Norfolk and Suffolk to make the list.
Countryfile magazine has listed Holkham beach on the North Norfolk coast as number 16 in its list of the 21 best places to picnic in Britain.
Recommending the beach for its "three miles of flat, golden sands stretch as far as the eye can see" the magazine says: "Although it’s one of East Anglia’s most popular stretches of sand, Holkham Beach is so vast you won’t have any trouble finding a secluded spot.
"The beach is part of Holkham National Nature Reserve, and the dunes harbour natterjack toads and as well as a beautiful variety of orchids, thistles and sea lavender; offshore, little terns hover and dive for fish.
"If the northerly winds pick up, pitch up within the pinewoods that back onto the beach."
- 1 Last man alive to be born at country home celebrates 100th birthday
- 2 Fakenham Figures - Pensthorpe manager reveals his love for north Norfolk
- 3 Lifeboat launched to rescue broken down 30ft cruiser
- 4 Testing plea for visitors as holiday season heats up
- 5 Ever fancied 'forest bathing'? How being close to nature can ease stress
- 6 Siblings united for pop-up selling burgers and ice cream on farm
- 7 Youngsters camp out for 'Sharkitude' leavers event
- 8 First look at adventure trail ahead of opening
- 9 I don't fear change in north Norfolk - just keep what makes it special
- 10 Community brings flower power to village streets