‘Twas the Night Before Christmas review: a warm, lovely production
- Credit: David Greeves
‘Twas The Night Before Chirstmas is a live professional show currently playing at Wells Maltings Theatre.
It will charm all children as well as any sceptical adult dragged along, under pressure, for a family treat.
The plot is a rich plum pudding of fairy tale, broad humorous, song and dance, telling of wicked Elderberry Yacht and his plot to steal Christmas. He is ably opposed by redoubtable eight year old Emily (with a nice Norfolk accent), trying to thwart his evil machinations. It involves moths scattering dream dust, Alan the Red-nosed Reindeer (brother of Rudolph), a sympathetic garden gnome, and Father Time. High jinks indeed!
It was written ten years ago for Hull Truck company and taken on, this year, by fEAST Theatre Company. This warm, lovely production is worth catching. After all, we are told that all Santas gather on Christmas eve at Kings Lynn Bus Depot; could there be another more apt local venue?
Marcus Churchill playing villainous Elderberry is aptly foiled by Amy Lunn playing Emily. It was directed by Dawn Finnerty, with catchy music by Tristan Parkes, enhanced by good lighting and colourful costumes.
You may also want to watch:
Many of the best local productions and original plays originate with fEAST Theatre. It's pleasing to learn that there will be more here in Wells from them, during the new year.
- 'Twas the Night Before Christmas runs at Wells Maltings Theatre until December 28
- Tickets are available for £6.50 - £12 from the theatre's website
- 1 Teenager creates bucket list for 'amazing' dog after cancer diagnosis
- 2 'A deserved hoorah!' - Thanks pour in for practice's Covid vaccine rollout
- 3 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 4 Second Banksy-style doctor street art appears outside vaccination centre
- 5 Shepherdess shocked as lamb fetches £1,752 at charity auction
- 6 Care home launches project to make residents dreams come true
- 7 Councillor asks people to speak up after confronting lockdown rule breakers
- 8 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 9 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
- 10 Surgery turns away people asking for 'spare' Covid vaccines