Group behind lido campaign lay out roadmap to reality
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2012
The group behind a campaign to bring a lido to a market town has laid out its roadmap on making it a reality.
Richard Crook, chairman of Active Fakenham has said the next step is securing the funding for a feasibility study from the UK Community Renewal Fund to bring the pool to the town.
Active Fakenham is currently sitting on the Fakenham Steering Group for the fund and has submitted detailed proposals for the study, which could be the first step towards the creation of a lido.
The proposal was accepted by the group, and will now go to the next stage where North Norfolk District Council will collate bids ready for Norfolk County Council to submit proposals to the government.
The idea has gained support across the community, with their petition collecting almost 1,400 signatures and the backing of the town council.
“There is a long way to go but this is an encouraging step towards a much-needed facility for the town,” Mr Crook said.
You may also want to watch:
“It is great to have the support of the Fakenham Town Council who quite rightly say they need to see more detail.
“This feasibility study is designed to provide this detail and will look at everything from the design of the pool and the accompanying infrastructure to the ongoing running costs.
- 1 Councillor says West Norfolk could 'stagnate' without Western Link
- 2 'Wouldn't change it for the world' - Barber and salon owners reflect on first year
- 3 'You have to give it a shot' - Fakenham businesses look to post-Covid world
- 4 Fakenham Figures: Owner of Get Smart on why she loves the town
- 5 Tributes paid to woman who was her village's heartbeat
- 6 'A soft spot for it' - Owner of WaffleOpolis coming back to Fakenham
- 7 Boy, 13, praised after rescuing railway sign from river
- 8 'You're muted!' - How lockdown changed everything for our town
- 9 Your Say - What Covid measures would you keep after June 21?
- 10 Concerns as Delta variant fuels rise in Norfolk Covid cases
“It will also provide a business analysis which will look at ongoing costs as well as build costs.”
The group has also announced their team to work with on the study, including, Hudson Architects, an award-winning architectural firm based in Norwich, the chief executive of Beccles Lido, and Swim England.
They also have accountants, environmental and energy experts, a structural and environmental expert, Highways, engineering consultants and a quantity surveyor.
If they secure funding for this feasibility study and the outcomes are positive then they believe they could move to the next stage which will be finding the funding to build the lido.
Full details of the feasibility study are on the Active Fakenham website.